what to treat oak with

Graham w

My own experience is that oak and water don't mix well. It tends to go black, I think due to tannins in the wood.

I've got oak work tops in my kitchen and they need a lot of maintenance with regular oiling to keep them looking half decent. Around the sink the wood gets black staining very quickly.

I carved myself a bathroom sink out of elm. Elm doesn't mind water at all. It's still looking great after about 5 years now with very little maintenance. The finish is Danish oil mixed with turpentine.

Go for an elm panelled shower!

I think the only way to do a shower is first cement board, silicone joints. Make sure joints are tight and make sure that's waterproof then oak or preferred material. Then a marine varnish sand between every coat as wood fibres will raise, do this at least 10 times. Then probably a coat or 2 every year if used regular.

If you can tongue and groove the wood all the better.

I think the only way to do a shower is first cement board, silicone joints. Make sure joints are tight and make sure that's waterproof then oak or preferred material. Then a marine varnish sand between every coat as wood fibres will raise, do this at least 10 times. Then probably a coat or 2 every year if used regular.

If you can tongue and groove the wood all the better.

My approach would be the first half of this but treat the oak with an epoxy resin so it is completely encapsulated so protecting it from the water. West system resin is designed for this in boat building. Only difference being hot water but think it would cope fine with 35C as it must get hotter than that if out in the sun.

adamelder that elm sink is lovely :thumbup1:

Dad and me built this boat in wood with epoxy resin around 10 years ago and the water has not got in yet

Edited by Woodworks

Hi love your sink Adamelder, as for the oak shower I am with everyone else , either resin coat all over but if even a small amount of water gets in it will stain and look crap , I would go for elm , good luck and do keep us up to date and some pics

Cheers Mark