Is arboriculture agriculture

redmoosefaction

Just spoken to an advisor at the EA and had the following explanation given as to why I need a license and a gardener doesn't.

A gardener that has a contract to cut grass and sort the garden makes the decision regarding what is to be removed from the garden as waste, he therefore is the waste generator and waste owner.

A tree surgeon that has a one off job to remove a tree is removing a tree that has been deemed as waste by the customer, therefore this is the customers waste that the tree surgeon is removing and hence he is transporting a someone elses waste.

What the EA person could not differentiate between is the home owner that is employing the gardener is still saying the old flowers/shrubs/grass is waste and needs removing and this is no different from the same customer deciding the tree is waste and needs removing. Surely when the gardener takes on the contract the customer asks him to do X,Y,Z in the same way the customer asks the tree surgeon to remove the tree. They ended up agreeing with me in principle and I am awaiting a phone call from someone higher up to clarify the matter.

By all accounts they have had hundreds of phone calls from gardeners/tree surgeons asking for clarification that they seem to be unable to give.

The worry i have is if I get this carriers licence will the EA then start at me with 'you have a carriers licence so admit to generating waste, where are your disposal receipts?'. I tip on a farm or give the chip and logs away so can't provide a paper trail for each and every kilo of chip and this is what they are ultimately looking for.

Where will it all end?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worry i have is if I get this carriers licence will the EA then start at me with 'you have a carriers licence so admit to generating waste, where are your disposal receipts?'.

That is exactly the problem, you will have to prove by receipt where you have tipped your chip, if you are stopped and questioned

Perhaps I am not grasping this nettle too tightly, but why should a by-product such as logs and woodchip, which have a commercial value, be deemed as waste? If it does have a commercial value, and is not waste, why then would you need a ticket to carry a waste product that doesnt exist? Talk about a money-making scheme, getting taxed (for want of a better word) for non-existent things. meanwhile the cowboys laugh in our faces, and fly-tip their waste! (sorry, by-product)

I'm going to put a shagged out stove in the barn and tell them I burn everything. I use the chip as fuel to dry my logs which are then, when dry used as fuel to keep me warm while I am processing my logs to dry to use as fuel for drying my fuel

They should then get the message, if they don't, I'll just say sorry, me no speeky english!

I'm going to put a shagged out stove in the barn and tell them I burn everything. I use the chip as fuel to dry my logs which are then, when dry used as fuel to keep me warm while I am processing my logs to dry to use as fuel for drying my fuel

They should then get the message, if they don't, I'll just say sorry, me no speeky english!

Hope your not in a smokeless zone!