Death of an English oak

Czar

Evening tree enthusiasts.

I have an oak in my garden. Probably 80+ years.

The main trunk is about 10 feet to the first 3 boughs. Inbetween the 3 boughs on the top of the trunk is a hole. This goes about 2-3 feet into the trunk. Full of gunk. 2 of the 3 boughs have what appear to be the beginnings of failure points, evident in the bark. The boughs are about 20 - 25 feet out from the trunk and about 9 - 12 Inches in diameter a meter out. Nice and thick. I thought to drill the failing boughs and pin through to a healthy side with some hefty steel bar pins and plate sized washers. Also fill over the hole with auto body filler to keep water out and maybe put a tap hole I to allow the gunk to dry out.

Any ideas?. Pictures to follow.

I am in Leeds.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main trunk is about 10 feet to the first 3 boughs. Inbetween the 3 boughs on the top of the trunk is a hole. This goes about 2-3 feet into the trunk. Full of gunk. 2 of the 3 boughs have what appear to be the beginnings of failure points, evident in the bark. The boughs are about 20 - 25 feet out from the trunk and about 9 - 12 Inches in diameter a meter out. Nice and thick. I thought to drill the failing boughs and pin through to a healthy side with some hefty steel bar pins and plate sized washers. Also fill over the hole with auto body filler to keep water out and maybe put a tap hole I to allow the gunk to dry out.

I am in Leeds.

I think you should get an arb consultant to come and have a look and advise as it doesnt sound like a striaght forward matter, Wet cavities shouldnt be drianed as the anerobic conditions prevent decay from advancing. Will be interesting to see pics

Leave the funk and the hole alone !! Draining it will just make perfect conditions for it to decay further and filling it won't help either, water makes the conditions unfavourable for decay fungi.. these are regarded as old practices that current research has proven just makes it worse!

Also drilling and bolting ... would not recommend that either unless the tree was already splitting and I would be considering stainless as oak will eat steal.

Tip reducing to lessen wind sail , upper cable bracing in the crown and being oak I would consider a non invasive brace if the tree was defective would be the normal routine maybe a heavy crown reduction if the defects where bad.

I am in Leeds.

For the love of the tree gods man, get a professional out to see it. Body filler? Steel rods? Damage points? Drills?

[emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk