which wood stove - again sorry

david wood

So i am on the look for some opinions on stoves please.

Long story short need a new stove, liner etc at a house and generally have no idea on stoves,

What i do know,

wood only - all well seasoned and no longer a log than 16 inches (splitter max length)

Nice glass door or doors as visual is good.

i need efficient as want a fill up 8am and burn for 8 hrs on hardwood, at least i guess 5+ kw

Stovax are used by a local supplier, but open to ideas.

cost is a consideration as given i need new liner, proper fireplace, chimney can etc and its a 2 floor house.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH]221895[/ATTACH]

Clearview Pioneer 400 is a cracking s 5Kw stove.

We have had Woodwarm, Hunter, Villager, Morso and Dunsley stoves over the years and IMHO nothing comes close to Clearview for quality and performance.

The Vision 500 is probably the benchmark clean-burning stove but it may be a little big for your needs at 8Kw.

We are currently picking a stove for the garden room, having run a Morso Panther for 20+ years, Morso are well up there.(Cos they appear to be indestructible , despite my fondness for overfiring bytimes)

However I am impressed by the Clearview offerings, a Newcastle based chimmny sweep/stove dealer(who I decided I liked on first meeting) chooses to sell ONLY Clearview, which tells me a lot.

Austroflamm also produce some nice(but pricey) stoves.

But since we want an oven stove, with a cooktop, our choice is limited.

The Nectre Baker is also under consideration btw.

But like Commando above the Clearview with their inherent technology and double glazing would be hard to beat, expecially having view one burning in a showroom last week, with spotlessly clean, and uncleaned glass.

mth

[ATTACH]221895[/ATTACH]

We have had Woodwarm, Hunter, Villager, Morso and Dunsley stoves over the years and IMHO nothing comes close to Clearview for quality and performance.

The Vision 500 is probably the benchmark clean-burning stove but it may be a little big for your needs at 8Kw.

We've got the Vision 500 with an external air feed. Can take a 15" log.

I doubt you could light it at 8am and it still be burning 8 hours later though. Would have to have been burning for an hour or so to get a decent bottom in it before you throttle it back to tick over.

The glass never goes black. Everyone I know that has a stove always has black glass. Whether that's down to the particular stove, they don't know how to operate it properly, they're burning unseasoned wood or a bit of all the above I don't know.

We've got the Vision 500 with an external air feed. Can take a 15" log.

I doubt you could light it at 8am and it still be burning 8 hours later though. Would have to have been burning for an hour or so to get a decent bottom in it before you throttle it back to tick over.

The glass never goes black. Everyone I know that has a stove always has black glass. Whether that's down to the particular stove, they don't know how to operate it properly, they're burning unseasoned wood or a bit of all the above I don't know.

Spot on! We burnt all sorts of wood in our Clearview Vision 500 and even some of those honking lignite brown coal briquettes. We literally gave the glass a wipe over once a month with damp kitchen towel.

[ATTACH]221895[/ATTACH]

I would happily recommend Woodwarm but interesting that you prefer the Clearview. Whats better about it other than build quality?

I would happily recommend Woodwarm but interesting that you prefer the Clearview. Whats better about it other than build quality?

Hi Wood, as a 'Devon Boy' I would love to be able to say that the Woodwarm stoves are comparable, however IMHO the Clearview has the edge both in quality and performance. I have noticed that the finish on the WW stoves is not as good as it once was, castings not finished well, brass handles not buffed properly.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are good stoves, but for me, Clearview is the benchmark that all others are measured against.

Hi Wood, as a 'Devon Boy' I would love to be able to say that the Woodwarm stoves are comparable, however IMHO the Clearview has the edge both in quality and performance. I have noticed that the finish on the WW stoves is not as good as it once was, castings not finished well, brass handles not buffed properly.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are good stoves, but for me, Clearview is the benchmark that all others are measured against.

I agree the build quality is better on the Clearview but it comes at a substantial cost. I see lots of Woodwarms and they always work well with a big financial saving over the Clearview.

Parents are on a Burley at present but it's a fussy little so and so and not as well made as the Woodwarms.