Alaskan milling cost per hour

inthewoods

Thats pretty strong money for just 2k of kit Rob :confused1:

And that's a bad thing? ;) Milling is a hard old slog - just cause the gear doesn't cost that much it is very hard on man and machine + it is a skill to operate it as it's meant to be operated.

Also I find before a days milling it takes me 2 to 3 hours to get fully set up with all gear serviced and ready.

I've done plenty of days charging £400+vat just with myself only. If people call then that is my price.

With the right log, the right set up and right know how you can easily mill £800-00 of timber in a day.

Or you can make a green table worth £400-00 in half a day and mill a good few planks in the other half the day.

It all depends on how you market and sell yourself to the customer. Virtually all the milling jobs I've done have been because other chainsaw millers have never turned up to do the job.

No idea but I do contract processing with 12k + of kit for less!

So just to get this straight you're saying that because you charge less for using more valuable kit then the prices I stated are too high?

And that's a bad thing? ;) Milling is a hard old slog - just cause the gear doesn't cost that much it is very hard on man and machine + it is a skill to operate it as it's meant to be operated.

Also I find before a days milling it takes me 2 to 3 hours to get fully set up with all gear serviced and ready.

I've done plenty of days charging £400+vat just with myself only. If people call then that is my price.

With the right log, the right set up and right know how you can easily mill £800-00 of timber in a day.

Or you can make a green table worth £400-00 in half a day and mill a good few planks in the other half the day.

It all depends on how you market and sell yourself to the customer. Virtually all the milling jobs I've done have been because other chainsaw millers have never turned up to do the job.

Not knocking it Rob if you get that much for so little financial investment. Interested as I have considered buying a mobile bandmill to add to the services we offer but if I could get that for so little money and storage space I might look into it. Doubt I would get much that down here but even £200-£250 a day would make it worthwhile to me. How much juice does an 880 get through on a hard day?

Think you use Aspen so can see that adds to your costs but can also understand why as so close to the exhaust when working. The other things you mention are the same with processing ie a hard slog and lots of prep the night before. Like learning new skills and already done a bit of milling at home just for fun without problems.

Edited by Woodworks

So just to get this straight you're saying that because you charge less for using more valuable kit then the prices I stated are too high?

The comment was a reply to Joes remark on the previous page but the value of the kit you run normally as some baring on what you can charge for a job. Get what you can, I maybe too cheap for what I do (but don't think so for here) you clearly are not too high as you have work :thumbup1:

The comment was a reply to Joes remark on the previous page but the value of the kit you run normally as some baring on what you can charge for a job. Get what you can, I maybe too cheap for what I do (but don't think so for here) you clearly are not too high as you have work [emoji106]1:

The only point I was making was that it you muller one of those chains that's easily 50-60 gone from your profit.

Running 12 grand worth of kit for so little doesn't add up on the face of it.

Not that I know anything about milling mind

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Alaskan milling is generally physically demanding.

If you can't get the log out or a bandsaw in, it's because it's in an awkward place. No one mills small logs. Carrying out 10 foot slabs is demanding.

Having your face 18" off an exhaust of an 880, even with aspen ain't fun.

But it's a niche market, probably only do a few days a month.

Not much real profit either, but start stacking your own and do some woodwork, it can be quite good.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk