Brown spots on leaves/bare canopy-live oak

txjenn

We have a live oak that is 2-3 years old. This spring, we noticed that the top of the tree is bare and many of the leaves all over the tree have brown spots on them. We have seen other trees in our neighborhood that seem to be going bare farther and farther down the tree so we are concerned that ours might do the same and then die.

Can you tell me what might be wrong and if it can be treated? We have another tree just like it that is doing great.

I appreciate your input.

Thank you.

I am presuming from the species and flag that you are in the US? This site is mainly UK-focussed so there may not be much specific information, however it looks to me like your tree is stressed due to being dry. I suggest mulching around the base, out as far as the drip line, with cardboard covered in chippings and giving it a good watering whenever there is a dry spell in the growing season for the next couple of years until it starts to grow away.

Alec

Oh my goodness....I didn't even realize you were based in the UK. Yes, we are in the US.

Well, I do appreciate your suggestions and will give it a try.

We do water the tree twice a week with its own dedicated bubbler and have mulch around it, as well.

I was concerned that maybe it had some sort of fungus or disease taking over.

Thank you again for your help. 😊