Bracken Spraying

The grass in the first pic is obviously affected. Brown and looks dead/dying.

Clearly the other two pics show the grass in a good condition but that's 8 months after glyph application right?

Our bracken spraying contracts usually involve 5' tall bracken on hillsides and forestry.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with your experience I'm just passing my experiences on.

If we sprayed anywhere and left non target species affected we would be in trouble with the landowner. And would probably lose any contracts with them.

The op doesn't tell us the land type or contract size so it's difficult to advise really.

Cheers.

Yep absolutely agree with your comments mate, TBH i wasn't that bothered if foliage underneath was affected too much. I tine harrowed it out and over-sowed in the early spring. I'll be interested to see yow may bracken fronds stick their heads up over the next month or so. Plan is to flail the field tight in August and then lime it.

We are getting their slowly but bracken is a bitch!

This is what it looked like when i started trying to put it right, early in the year and before the bracken stuck its head up....

What an improvement!! Fair play, it looks great now.

The old hill farmers around here say that cattle or a roller is better than cutting the bracken because the plant then tries to heal the crushed stem and wastes energy doing so. If you cut it then it'll just send another stem up.

I doubt you'll need to spray again whichever method you use.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

depending on height and access I've had luck using a backpack orchard mister, you have to muck around a bit with water to begin with to work out your dose a bit but on a still day you can cover 6/7 metres to either side of you. Biggest trick is having someone to fill you up as you go.

• Like 1

I cut my bracken (head high in parts!) with a topper and strimmer in August this year, and have had only a few small fronds growing back. i'll cut again next year, maybe even another cut later this year (if it ever stops raining) but I was surprised how little came back after a single cut. 

• Like 1