Bracken Spraying

For the last 5 years (I think!!) asulox has been available in may/June and then withdrawn in October. Every time it's withdrawn everybody has to return their left over chemical, by law.

I can only assume that every October they are hoping to have a different and safer chemical ready for sale the following year, but this doesn't happen so they release asulox again!

Until there's an alternative to asulox they can't stop selling it, otherwise all the millions of pounds of grants given to upland farmers and foresters will have been wasted. Left unchecked, bracken will come back in 3-5 years.

Cheers.

I had good success with Roundup Nick (I would guess significantly cheaper) and because the bracken sits so high off the ground very little damage to grass.

My experience of glyphosate on bracken differs from yours.

Yes it's very effective and about a third of the price of asulox but in my experience the run off from the fronds is enough the kill a lot of plants under the bracken.

Perhaps you use less chemical?

Yes it's very effective and about a third of the price of asulox but in my experience the run off from the fronds is enough the kill a lot of plants under the bracken.

Nope normal strength, but I had really thick bracken.

I sprayed in late August and the following year there was little if an visible damage to the grass. Just need to get rid of the bluebells now.

I'm hoping they will die off now that there is no shade for them.

For the last 5 years (I think!!) asulox has been available in may/June and then withdrawn in October. Every time it's withdrawn everybody has to return their left over chemical, by law.

I can only assume that every October they are hoping to have a different and safer chemical ready for sale the following year, but this doesn't happen so they release asulox again!

Until there's an alternative to asulox they can't stop selling it, otherwise all the millions of pounds of grants given to upland farmers and foresters will have been wasted. Left unchecked, bracken will come back in 3-5 years.

Cheers.

I don't think the safety of asulox was ever in doubt. It's being aerial sprayed for decades. The reason it was banned was because for some reason, it was sprayed on spinach crops. This was banned, by the EU, in turn resulting on it being banned for bracken and dock control as well. In fact, I think it's still banned for use on docks

Before and after photos:

I don't think the safety of asulox was ever in doubt. It's being aerial sprayed for decades. The reason it was banned was because for some reason, it was sprayed on spinach crops. This was banned, by the EU, in turn resulting on it being banned for bracken and dock control as well. In fact, I think it's still banned for use on docks

I didn't know that regarding spinach, thanks. I think you're right that it's only approved for sale for use on bracken.

To be fair though, the fact it's been used for decades doesn't mean it's 'safe'. Can any herbicide be truly safe?

Before and after photos:

The grass in the first pic is obviously affected. Brown and looks dead/dying.

Clearly the other two pics show the grass in a good condition but that's 8 months after glyph application right?

Our bracken spraying contracts usually involve 5' tall bracken on hillsides and forestry.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with your experience I'm just passing my experiences on.

If we sprayed anywhere and left non target species affected we would be in trouble with the landowner. And would probably lose any contracts with them.

The op doesn't tell us the land type or contract size so it's difficult to advise really.

Cheers.

I didn't know that regarding spinach, thanks. I think you're right that it's only approved for sale for use on bracken.

To be fair though, the fact it's been used for decades doesn't mean it's 'safe'. Can any herbicide be truly safe?

Totally agree. No chemicals are safe. What I meant was, that it wasn't banned due to concerns over its use on bracken. I spend most of late July and early August spraying bracken on moorland. I'm ultra careful when spraying, always using a marker dye. Any split shows up blue. Always washing overalls and clothes every night after use. You can never be too careful.

Got you.

Thanks for the info regarding its ban, I've spent an hour this morning reading up on it. There quite a lot of crap online about asulox but a lot of good info too.

We use blue dye too, it really helps in dense bracken (and rhododendron) but it's so expensive! A litre bottle doesn't go far.