Woodworm

billpierce

Nightmare pal. Maybe a wallpaper steamer could kill if anything that's in there but it could mess up your kitchen top at the same time. I think boric acid is used but it's left on and kills anything emerging I believe so no good in your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightmare pal. Maybe a wallpaper steamer could kill if anything that's in there but it could mess up your kitchen top at the same time. I think boric acid is used but it's left on and kills anything emerging I believe so no good in your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, boric can be used, if you google it, in the past it had many different uses including sterilising and preserving surfaces and food amongst many other things, there's been much on here about it as regarding preventing blue stain / fungal stuff etc. on fresh milled timber, the Crystals are real cheap on fleabay, 1 kg makes into a 5 gallon saturated solution.

Borax, Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate, 99.9% Pure, Best Grade Available, 1 Kilo | eBay

Of course this natural substance is not currently being recommended as being ' natural ' product it can't be patented, ......cheers.

Of course this natural substance is not currently being recommended as being ' natural ' product it can't be patented, ......cheers.

hate to be pedantic and get all scientific (although that is my background and training) but Boric Acid toxicity is well studied and well known. check out the

CDC page if you want a pretty unbiased opinion. i copied part of it below. Its toxic, hence its not recommended. its got F all to do with patents or anything, its just not 100% safe.

in humans, it is believed that adverse reactions associated with low doses of boric acid per day are unlikely to occur. However, exposure to large amounts of boric acid over a short period of time can affect the stomach, bowels, liver, kidney, and brain, and may even lead to death.

Centre for Food Safety - Food Safety Focus - Boric Acid and Borax in Food

nobody that i can find (and trust) would recommend boric acid for surfaces used to prepare food. If you want to consider that to be because ' it can't be patented' thats fine, but its bollix. :001_tt2:

its just not safe. end of story.

you MIGHT be safe to use boric acid and then many layers of varnish.. but thats not gonna be great if its next to the sink (would need regular re-varnishing).

all in all its a bit of a buggr. Try blasting the wood with a strong chloride solution ... bleach (thats not patented either...amazingly... with added stabilizing agents maybe, but not just a chloride solution) or maybe a milton's-fluid type solution? but it will probably bleach teh wood as well

good luck mate

Attack them now.Use woodworm killer,it comes in sprays.

I had a major issue with woodworm when we moved into our home 10 years ago.We first noticed little holes in some of our laminate flooring and skirtings,we had no idea what they were at that piont so i was just using wood filler to fill the little holes.

Couple of years later we were ripping up the laminate and discovered the carcases of litrally thousands of woodworm beetles,we had an infestation..they were in our skirtings door frames and even several of our joists.

All had to be replaced as they were rendered unsafe by a surveyor.Luckily im handy and dome all the work myself.

We still had some little pockets of woodworm here and there but we treated the wood with woodworm killer and thankfully we managed to catch them in time before a serious accident happened.

I dont mean to scare you unnecessaerily but you may have deeper problems.

Problem is its difficult to investigate how bad a problem you have without being distructive to your home.

hate to be pedantic and get all scientific (although that is my background and training) but Boric Acid toxicity is well studied and well known. check out the

CDC page if you want a pretty unbiased opinion. i copied part of it below. Its toxic, hence its not recommended. its got F all to do with patents or anything, its just not 100% safe.

in humans, it is believed that adverse reactions associated with low doses of boric acid per day are unlikely to occur. However, exposure to large amounts of boric acid over a short period of time can affect the stomach, bowels, liver, kidney, and brain, and may even lead to death.

Centre for Food Safety - Food Safety Focus - Boric Acid and Borax in Food

nobody that i can find (and trust) would recommend boric acid for surfaces used to prepare food. If you want to consider that to be because ' it can't be patented' thats fine, but its bollix. :001_tt2:

its just not safe. end of story.

you MIGHT be safe to use boric acid and then many layers of varnish.. but thats not gonna be great if its next to the sink (would need regular re-varnishing).

all in all its a bit of a buggr. Try blasting the wood with a strong chloride solution ... bleach (thats not patented either...amazingly... with added stabilizing agents maybe, but not just a chloride solution) or maybe a milton's-fluid type solution? but it will probably bleach teh wood as well

good luck mate

Fair enough, I know It was used historically for many things, which of course doesn't mean that it's considered safe these days and appreciate your knowledge and experience on the subject. Perhaps I'll need to have another look into the subject regarding the safety aspects of handling borax crystal solution when treating timber, I'm generally careful with all chemicals and I avoid skin contact with this as much as possible.

Regarding the treatment of milled products as I described... would you also consider this to be dodgy / unsafe?...... I haven't found anything else that works as well....thanks for the info