How did you get into ARB

chuck norris

Since leaving school I worked with my Dad building houses dad also owned a shop that he rented out. in the late 90's it needed a lot of work so we demolished it and rebuilt with 2 flats above . To cut a long story short I ended up working in shop.

12 years later we get an offer that is to good to refuse dads retired by now so I'm free to do whatever I want. One day doing a fencing job customer wants a couple of sycamores removed so I did them and thought wow I enjoyed that. Tried a couple of local companies for work but as usual not interested without experience couldn't take the time of working to go to college being late 30's and needing to provide for family so did tickets and started on my own. Been doing it 7 years now and loving every minute. The only downside is I now have an addiction to shiny new gear.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Hi all we don't do a right lot of arb work about 15-20 jobs per annum its mainly forestry work for us, but I will tell you how I came to do a bit of arb work, I used to work with a guy on a regular basis 1-2 days a week and when I was delivering my logs to customers some would ask about re moving a tree in there garden so I would just pass a phone number on of the guy I worked with,then I got to here of someone that he had been bad mouthing me about a small clearfell job that I had took weeks to do and made a total bollox of it,now this job I don't even know where it was or who did it but it was not me, so I thought to my self one day when a customer I was delivering logs to asked me about a large sycamore tree that they wanted removing, so I thought sod it I will do this myself so found a very good climber a place to hire a chipper in from and started there, most amazing thing out of this was after about 10 months of not giving any one the phone number of the guy I used to work with he rang me one night and asked if I was still delivering logs and does no one ask you about trees any more when I said yes his voice changed and he asked me if I still passed his number on when I said no he asked why not so I told him that I was doing the work, you can't climb,you haven't got a chipper and all that crap, so I mentioned the clear fell job I had supposed to of done and I just said to him if you have got a memory you might gusse what I may say next or if you had 2 brain cells you wouldn't of said it in the first place , there was silence then well did you not do it, I replied no don't even know where it is but I believe I have made a total bollox of it , he replied oh I thought you had done it , I just said do your homework and get your facts right before you open your mouth as this has cost you 10-12k of lost work and more besides as there is another team in your area now, its quite funny that he ain't spoke to me or waved to me on the road since. And on other very satisfying thing is that he has just started a relationship with a right gold digger and when the cash has gone so will she be gone on to next one .

From an early age I've always had a hankering for working in the countryside but my careers adviser at school told me there’s no money in it so upon leaving school I started my working career as a YTS bricklayer; however the recession at the end of the 80’s soon put pay to that.

I bummed around for a few years working at a caravan park where I worked with a couple of ex-army lads so a venture in the armed forces beckoned. At the same time I looked into countryside courses and liked the Countryside and Game Management course at a local college.

Long story short a toss of a coin decided the path I went down and whilst at college I found that I could get paid to climb trees and mess about with chainsaws; the rest, as they say, is history.

worked in the landscaping business for many years until made redundant a few years ago, started up a simple gardening run to make ends meet until I got another job, next thing I know I've built up a decent little business so kept it going, landed a few contracts helping tree surgeons along the way. Now I offer tree work as part of the business though I only do small scale stuff, anything that requires climbing I bring in the professionals, and in return they bring me in on their jobs :thumbup: