How did you get into ARB

chuck norris

I was made redundant after 15 odd years in a sweaty factory manufacturing boxes & part of the redundancy deal was retraining, so I became a road traffic accident investigator, did that for a couple of years when I was diagnosed with the cancer, got made redundant again while under going treatment, got the all clear 18 months later and felt ready to take on part time work, a friend of a friend who knew this bloke was starting up his own tree surgery business was looking for a hand, so I started with him on one day a week & within a couple of months I was working full time for him, fell in love with the work & he offered to pay for me to go to Merritt wood but I declined and payed for the RFS myself as I didn't want to be tied financially to him in case the big c came back.

I spent around 3 years with him, learnt loads from him and the subbies he got in, I started getting the odd job from neighbours & relatives so decided to give it a go on my own.

8 years on I now look after three private estates, one commercial site and I fit domestic tree work in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Nice one Darren.

I trust the missus, the dogs and yourself are well mate.

I was working in telecoms and decided to get out as soon as possible. I left to work as a snowboard guide in 2000. Did a couple of winters living in The alps. On my second season I had ditched the work malarkey and was having fun. One of the guys I lived with was a tree surgeon. We kept in touch. When I was back in the UK I decided to give it a go. Contacted my mate, did a bit. Contacted a few others and did a bit whilst at college.

Been at it ever since.

Forestry rather than Arb in my case, but anyway.

Five years ago I was making ice-cream.

Went for a walk in a local wood one day and realised I wanted to spend all my time in that environment.

Blagged myself a ridiculously big Wood to manage.

Now I spend my days sweating my conkers off wishing I had an ice-cream!

Very happy I made the change though.

Nice one Darren.

I trust the missus, the dogs and yourself are well mate.

I was working in telecoms and decided to get out as soon as possible. I left to work as a snowboard guide in 2000. Did a couple of winters living in The alps. On my second season I had ditched the work malarkey and was having fun. One of the guys I lived with was a tree surgeon. We kept in touch. When I was back in the UK I decided to give it a go. Contacted my mate, did a bit. Contacted a few others and did a bit whilst at college.

Been at it ever since.

Hello mate, I hope you and yours are well.

We are not bad, we lost the big fella back in October, so just the two dogs now.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Forestry rather than Arb in my case, but anyway.

Five years ago I was making ice-cream.

Went for a walk in a local wood one day and realised I wanted to spend all my time in that environment.

Blagged myself a ridiculously big Wood to manage.

Now I spend my days sweating my conkers off wishing I had an ice-cream!

Very happy I made the change though.

Very nice ice-cream too.

Mrs Egg sampled it at Euston Show last weekend.

She tells me that it's being sold in Coop stores now?

Quite so Mr Egg,

Still on the shelves thanks to your pump fixing skills!:thumbup:

Mrs Egg tells me she was very tempted to ask the lady if she was Mrs Idiot, but thought better of it.

Anyway, I'm off to derail someone else's thread now.

Edited by eggsarascal

I left school at 16 with a place in the Navy- I wasn't acedemic really and thought it could be a good progressive job, see the world etc. Joined the Navy, was medically discharged a week later (best thing that's ever happened as it happens!)

So caught short I moved from my home On a farm I'd grown up on on Dartmoor and went to do a forestry course up at Barony college- eventually progresssd into tree work and worked for a good tree surgeon in the midlands for 4-5yeats before I thought I'd move back to Dartmoor and start on my own.

That was nearly ten years ago and unlike most on here I have actually moved away from tree climbing and tree work in general, my business evolved into agri fencing digger work and Dry stone walling which I had always enjoyed messing around with when I was growing up and it's just gone from there really, can't think of anything I would sooner do now- including tree work! I think I prefer looking, walking amongst trees now than I do working on them:001_rolleyes: