Please, someone, water me!

John Hancock

This new housing development was built and completed recently opposite where I live and is a great example of the little to no aftercare given to newly planted trees. Why is no consideration given to watering and aftercare to these trees? Every house is now occupied and it’s obvious given the state of the trees that the residents don’t care. The landscape contractor has completed their contract, so they don’t care and it’s pretty obvious that the local authority doesn’t care either.

Planning permission was applied for and given, as part of that permission ‘X’ number of trees would have been stipulated to be planted on the new development, surely the developer has an obligation to water and maintain these trees for at least two years?

I wouldn’t say it breaks my heart but it does make me mad seeing this repeated time and time again all over the country, it seems as long as trees are just stuck in the ground and left to fend for themselves, everyone is happy!?

Not good is it. If you felt so inclined you could check the consent conditions. Round my way there is often a condition attached for a five year replacement period if tree planting fails to thrive...

I've just messaged the local authority, should have an answer by tomorrow...

I always thought the developer took care of it until the council took over. If it's like here they will just leave it and replant.

It can often be cheaper that way, watering contracts can be expensive and most don't want to pay the rates. Our local council employs a watering team who get paid the same rates as the Arb team to seasonally go around watering tree stock.

Currently I have only 2 of my own, which are £5000 each for the year for each planting project and there is very little money to be made in them other than keeping the planting team busy during the summer months. Although like all things if I had 20 watering contracts I could possibly reduce the rate and make a greater percentage of profit.

My main problem is selling the aftercare, as most of the competition don't seem to bother or will charge a paltry sum maybe water once or twice and hope to get away without replacing. So far I have lost 2 tenders for the new season from what I gathered from the QS it was down to the aftercare package being to high as planting should always be the same. We do offer full guarantee and no quibble replacement with the aftercare program.

Building sites are the worst and failure rates are sometimes 50% as they skip the after care preferring to do it themselves to save on the cost which can be as much as 50% of the initial planting and as the planting is merely dressing with low risk to the developer to put right they take the chance.