Metal tree guard in Oak trunk

Steve Bullman

Craned this trunk out earlier in the week. A fell at ground level had previously been attempted unsuccessfully. The residents near the tree had warned the guys there was a metal tree guard within...keeping in mind these residents were in their 90's and the tree must have engulfed the guard many many years ago, its quite something they really remembered that!

Anyway, they were right as you can see from the pics, thankfully I wasn't involved in that part of the job.

A crane was ultimately bought in to remove the trunk at approx 2m height and transport to another site for the timber to be put to use for various things. I guessed the weight of the lift at 6t but it actually came in at 10t...I was miles out :blushing:

The remaining butt is apparently going to be carved into an elephant, we shall see :001_rolleyes:

14d0e83f80ee4db69bffce91d4d74cc8.jpg70779f3bba571e0025fba1ea9475f210.jpg4e7e1336907470a42b92c4c58f41faaa.jpg09bf282a2d25fa87048c737886b11537.jpg474135548bff9d6b9e6ebdca5009af91.jpga9aff4ea477447fbfa5456ccc07ff891.jpg

That's a big ugly lump of timber, found similar years ago on a oak that had been lightening struck, cost a fortune in damaged chains and having to get a bigger loader in to shift the butt as couldn't be cut up anymore, amazing how the trees can do it really.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app