How to crosscut limbs longer than bar length.

Paddler

Which course would you recommend? I don't need a lecture on PPE (I have bought it all!) I don't need to know how to start a saw or basic maintenance.

I am just interested in learning how to cut limb's which are wider than bar length on the ground, or in the saw horse for that matter.

I appreciate it is easy for an instructor to spend half a day talking about the importance of PPE and kite marks etc, but I don't need to pay for that!

Go on a training course but I am sorry you will have to talk about PPE basic maintained and starting a saw as the course won't just be for you unless you want to pay a small fortune for it on a ones to one basis.I would put money on it that you will learn more than you think you know so to keep yourself as safe as you can do the course, training is cheap really, a made of mine thought he knew it all about saws but top and bottom of it he knew f--k all nearly took his arm off with a saw 18 month off work and I advised me more than once to do a couple of courses the training would of been cheap to 18mths off work.

I bet Husqvarna or stihl have a series on youtube with explanation of the crosscutting,the dangerous parts of using the nose of the bar, standing uphill of log when making final cut etc. For simple crosscutting, you can cut twice the length of the amount of bar sticking out clear of the saw. Beyond twice the length, you have to cut a hole to allow your saw in further to the middle uncut bit, or if it's only firewood, cut all round then split some chunks off with your ax or wedges. Just don't dick around with the upper corner of bar nose in any kind of flaky, upward cutting careless way. Also, don't cut around metal barrels or wire etc, metal contact gives the worst kick back and catches a lot of home owners out. Don't get your neck in the way of the saw, or your main arteries.

Iisten to your saw

Burying tip is acceptable

Watch out for tensions in limb as you cut

Roll ,Twist etc.

If at height

Perform a square cut

Under first

Then sides

Then straight down through prepared square

Which drops large limb almost straight down , a little drooping towards stem though if fast enough no problems .

You can just cut through middle of limb then cut half way through

Use your instincts

Try not to overheat bar

Keep teeth sharp

Sent from my Y635-L01 using Arbtalk mobile app