Used Trak Met Sawmill wanted

Bustergasket

They are good solid sawmills, but I'd advise buying new. They are cheaper than the competition, and you don't know how the previous owner has treated it. I've looked after mine well (TTS-800 Standard, but with many, many extras) but with 550 hours on the clock, it's still needed welding at other repairs at times.

They are good solid sawmills, but I'd advise buying new. They are cheaper than the competition, and you don't know how the previous owner has treated it. I've looked after mine well (TTS-800 Standard, but with many, many extras) but with 550 hours on the clock, it's still needed welding at other repairs at times.

Thanks big J, i read your posts ref your 800 with great interest, it's not going to see loads of use which is why i thought if i can find s good used one it would offer a good saving and prob get a higher spec, but i take on board your comments, do you think you will be selling your 800 anytime soon ? if you are let me know depending on price it could be right up my street, i have asked TM in poland if they have any used stock but they have referred me back to u.k. agent. What bits have needed to be welded? cheers

Not likely. It's usefully versatile, allowing us to cut 4ft diameter hardwood but also plough through smaller softwood with ease. We had 15 tonnes of western red cedar through it in 5 hours this morning.

The linkage for the back stops needed to be welded, one of the backstops got bent by a 5 tonne beech log (cut off, rewelded) and the log deck loading arm has been braced with additional welding.

• 3 months later...

Hi Big John,I've recently bought the Trak Met T900 I was wondering if you could recommend a decent blade and supplier in the U.K. Have only just set it up with the recommended blades which have a 25 degree angle and are 75mm. I have lost a lot of teeth using these blades so am looking for the correct blade to run. 

Any help would be well appreciated 

many thanks 

D Saw

I'm not familiar with that model. A 75mm blade is wider than mine (I run 60mm blades on mine). 

I'm still working through my original batch of 50 blades that I got with the mill. I've probably lost 15 or so to snappages and micro fractures in the gullets, but they've resharpened over 10 times each. 

Otherwise, Dakin Flathers do good blades in the form of the Ripper 37s, but I also quite liked Woodmizer's Silvertip which I think you can get in 75mm

Just now, se7enthdevil said:

was that my beech perchance jon???

It wasn't actually! Managed to find some beech even larger that just completely filled the throat. Half the weight was sat on one back stop and half ripped it off!