Melted Fuses in a Countax

Sleeches

Bit of a strange one - the main fuse in my Countax C600H has melted but not blown. The plastic has made its way into the holder so I've got a replacement which I'll fit this weekend but has anyone either seen this before or can shed any light on the cause?

When I try the key i can hear the starter clicking but not engaging the starter so suspect the solenoid is also fried but one thing at a time....

Cheers

Three main causes I can think of:

Current draw is high and for long periods, up near the top end of the fuse capability.

Slack fuse connection between fuse and holder, could be leafs or screws.

Sack connection between cable and holder (most likely)

Replace the holder and give the wiring a good coat of looking at. There is too much load going through the fuses so I susspect a wire earthing some where. If nothing visable take some time troubleshooting, run at idle, have blades running, then collector etc and feel when the holder heats up.

I had a clicking soi on the starter late last year and suspected the battery, the ignition lights still came on after being left for 5 plus months this spring so charged the battery and checked some wiring. Found a loose earth bonding strap to the engine, cleaned up the connectors to the battery and the spade connector on the thin wire to the sol. Not had an issue since then.

If you have a leak to earth it may just be your battery is not getting the charge it needs.

Cheers

Nopedigree

Melted fuses are quite common on Countax. Its usually down to corrosion on the spades of the fuse which results in a heat build up with the current arcing through the corrosion.

It could of course be to the load being too great, but this is not that common.

As said before, replace with new and check for heat after a short period of running.

• 3 weeks later...

Update - replaced the fuse holder but now when I turn the key I just get clicking from the solenoid and not engine turnover. Plenty of life in the battery but after a few seconds of this clicking I noticed the lead to the starter was warm so it looks like that's also knackered.

Replacing the starter is beyond my technical skills so off to the pros tomorrow for a look over.