Arb rates vs forestry...

onesprucetoomany

with respect, I would.

I presume he's got a truck, chipper, kit etc. What happens when that needs replacing?

From what I've seen of business owners in this game their day is full of working, quoting, maintenance and admin. For 23k a year?

All good and well having a good reputation, but having a reputation for being cheap is something I can do without.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Easy to judge though....

Problem is this has subject has been done to death - as much as I love this job and the lifestyle I want fair remuneration for what I do and have done and to be fair there are plenty out there better than me.

As a climber I earned more than most of those I worked for which just seems insane as i had none of the stress or worry because well plenty of others to work for.

I hope things will change and one thing I found is most company owners I worked for had hardly any mortgage, most of the young lads I work with now to get into home ownership need to be earning a lot more than past industry trends so hopefully we will see some shift in industry attitudes.

I work to live not live to work, having said that I would not want to do anything else and if I had to I would work for less.....

So yeah easy to judge.

Edited by Marc

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're running your own firm with all the hassle that that brings you need to be on £30-50k or it just isn't worth it. Seriously why bother? Just get a job as a charge hand at the council, no stress and easy work.

I agree with this- running any business large or small requires a considerable amount of stress and behind the scenes legwork.

However, we all probably run our own show for different reasons- some may do if for mainly financial gain with the 'cap' only set by them. Personally I do it because I prefer the lifestyle- I can do jobs my way, when I like and the pride in doing a good job is alll mine, I earn a reasonable living from it- but money isn't everything- if it was I wouldn't be in this job.

If you're running your own firm with all the hassle that that brings you need to be on £30-50k or it just isn't worth it. Seriously why bother? Just get a job as a charge hand at the council, no stress and easy work.

100% , I work to live not live to work . 5 days does me and I certainly wouldn't do it for 20/25k .

Each to their own :confused1::confused1:

I'd say 50k should be the bottom limit. If a climber can earn 36k a year why would you take all that risk and time to earn just a bit more?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Maybe- but I expect it comes down to size of company. I would prefer to earn 30k doing my own thing than 36k being someone else's slave. I think the bigger you become- naturally the incentive to earn more comes with it.