How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

Just a quick one, how long should it take for potatoes to be ready to harvest? We planted some earlier this year, is it x months after they start to sprout?

Depends on the variety weather etc, 10 -12 weeks for first/second earlies but as above just try digging some up when the have began flowering.

Being lifting/ eating charlotte spuds for the last 2 weeks in N Wales...

Lighter soil warms up faster = earlier crops.The local farmer who does spuds every year, is on limestone. & was selling spuds roadside a few weeks before mine were ready. (Soil here is heavy clay)

• Thanks 1

Most of my veg gets attacked by slugs and caterpillars which the kids think is great as they love to hunt for them!

Just a quick one, how long should it take for potatoes to be ready to harvest? We planted some earlier this year, is it x months after they start to sprout?

I had to look this up myself a few days ago. Only problem is I don't know what type mine are exactly as they were just some spares given by my brother. I'm going to trial and error it with a fork in about a week I reckon.

This link looks a bit funny but does seem to work.

potato-selection940x627.jpg

WWW.RHS.ORG.UK

Potatoes are hugely versatile and a staple ingredient of many meals in one form or another – boiled, mashed, chipped or baked. Potatoes are classified as being either earlies or maincrops. Early varieties are ready to harvest much sooner than maincrops and are what we call ‘new potatoes’. Maincrop varieties are in the ground a lot longer. They produce a larger harvest and bigger potatoes.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gary112 said:

CCB4ECCA-7F1C-465D-A3F0-25579E59C36D.thumb.jpeg.5cf3a55118765e7268b5293b1dd1e6cd.jpeg07823735-E98B-40AD-A761-855792201B7C.thumb.jpeg.6bc53cdfc1a2122167afcb846b699dae.jpegGetting a bumper crop of cucumbers this year 

Where abouts in the country are you Gary. I’m simply shocked at your success. I’ve put so mu chi work into my veg garden this year and the results are beyond depressing. Guess growing at 1300ft above sea level doesn’t help with 2000mm of rain a year!

3 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Where abouts in the country are you Gary. I’m simply shocked at your success. I’ve put so mu chi work into my veg garden this year and the results are beyond depressing. Guess growing at 1300ft above sea level doesn’t help with 2000mm of rain a year!

In Worcestershire(midlands) Matthew,eaten a few already,should be picking tomatoes pretty soon aswell

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Exactly the same for me Matt. Normally we are in a heat wave here now, rained pretty constantly for weeks , one month's worth fell overnight a week ago. My pumpkins, cucumbers and courgettes are crap, loads of leaves and flowers but they just aren't setting. Spuds are pretty tasteless, soil has been pushed into the skins, have to scrape the skins rather than just run them under water. Tomatoes are growing but the fruit seems to be waiting for some sun. Very depressing. Weeds have gone mad, the soil is so wet I can't get in to lift them. Worst year I can remember.

Edited by David Cropper
  • Like 1