How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

3 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Have been keeping an eye out locally for some comfrey that we could transplant for this exact purpose. Doubt it could smell much worse than the nettle potion! 

Pack of comfrey seeds is only couple quid👍

Use with caution though, it's really "spready", invasive. My parents had it all over their old garden. It's not too bad as far as invasive plants go though as it's very good for pollinating insects as well as a good fertiliser.

• Like 1

I think the comfrey makes a better all round fertiliser than the nettles. At the minute I've got both stewing away together in a 200l drum, but the nettles are only really in there instead of going on the compost.

When it's ready, it smells like the inside of a cows arse that's got the runs. If you get it on your hands, the smell lingers for days.

2 minutes ago, scbk said:

I think the comfrey makes a better all round fertiliser than the nettles. At the minute I've got both stewing away together in a 200l drum, but the nettles are only really in there instead of going on the compost.

When it's ready, it smells like the inside of a cows arse that's got the runs. If you get it on your hands, the smell lingers for days.

Comfrey is very good for feeding tomatoes

• 2 weeks later...

Slugs.

Not so bad now that it's hot and dry again but a couple of weeks ago they were a right menace.
What's everyone's favourite way of protecting against the filthy slimy scumbags?

I hate the idea of Slug Pellets so my preferred option is to use copper rings. I started out years ago by buying various types of Cu tape and mesh and other purpose made products. They were a bit crap really; didn't work that well and didn't last very long. I realised that I could do far better myself starting from standard copper plumbing pipe and some basic metal working.
I cut 22mm pipe to a length of about 12", slit it along its length, bend and beat it out flat to a ribbon and then roll that around the other way to end up with a ring of 4" diameter and about 2.5" high. I put these around individual plants in the ground, or I use them to stand pots on if I'm protecting plants in pots. (This should make a bit more sense with the photos).

I've been using them for a number of years now and really happy with them. They're not 100% effective but getting there. Nothing is against slugs to my knowledge. I'm not sure of the exact chemistry but for some reason but slugs hate copper. I've tested it and watched them visibly recoil from it!

It takes a fair bit of effort and time to initially make the rings but I figure they'll last forever now. Being copper they won't rust away obviously. Also pipe is quite a thick guage they are strong enough to sit really heavy pots on.

If I was a salesman I'd have been on Dragon's Den with the idea before now! Never seen anything as good available to buy.
IMG_20210616_132411.jpegIMG_20210616_132342.jpegIMG_20210616_132428.jpeg

• Like 5