How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

5F3F5A21-6E68-4559-911F-F5EF7BE614A2.thumb.jpeg.c004a0ff00a9dd20030f484f5c96923c.jpegAAD970E6-EDE2-4A10-822A-A390481CB171.thumb.jpeg.2a22095caad4c2e3aff65b8d21b3ee67.jpegGot a lot of stuff in the greenhouse waiting to go out,just need the ground to dry a bit to be able to put it out 
Are they sweetcorn in that first photo Gary? I'm growing some this year for the first time. I've not planted them out yet due to crap weather. I've only got six plants, I hope that's enough. Since they're wind pollinated I was originally going to plant a block of nine, but three didn't make it.
Got any tips for sweetcorn growing?

2 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Are they sweetcorn in that first photo Gary? I'm growing some this year for the first time. I've not planted them out yet due to crap weather. I've only got six plants, I hope that's enough. Since they're wind pollinated I was originally going to plant a block of nine, but three didn't make it.
Got any tips for sweetcorn growing?

Yeah sweetcorn, definately need to plant in a block,as you say wind pollinated,very easy to grow they look after themselves pretty much,i feed a couple times while they,re growing with liquid seaweed.I plant in blocks of 4x4

• Like 2

I have sweet corn, courgettes, peas, various squashes, cauliflower and onions all chomping at the bit to be planted out. Think I’m going to take a calculated risk and plant out this weekend. Tomatoes and cucumbers growing but depressingly slowly- just no real heat about despite being in a greenhouse.

• Like 1

Just now, Matthew Storrs said:

I have sweet corn, courgettes, peas, various squashes, cauliflower and onions all chomping at the bit to be planted out. Think I’m going to take a calculated risk and plant out this weekend. Tomatoes and cucumbers growing but depressingly slowly- just no real heat about despite being in a greenhouse.

I,ve planted out red cabbage,broccoli and onions but its painfully slow growing,as you say too cold at the minute.Tomatoes and cucumber also slow in the greenhouse

This could go in the "Show us ya birds" thread, but I want to put in a good word for Tits, (the feathered kind!). We get loads in our garden. Probably because we feed them well and also got some currently nesting in a box. I often see them hopping around on trees and shrubs. I think they're picking off insects, probably aphids and caterpillars mainly, so they must be really good natural pest controllers.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Toms now around 1' tall all have their first truss, Peppers are around 10" and have flowers, courgettes outside at long last. Pigeons or sparrows have decimated some purple sprouting broccoli but have since put a net over the small raised bed, mainly to stop cats crapping on the veggie patch!!!! Spring onions good this year, dug a bit of sharp sand in and it is helping them as last year was dismal. 

Runner beans in pots and have started to come up.....will be in over the next two weeks.

• Like 1