How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

23 minutes ago, scbk said:

30th July and finally!! a ripe tomato :up:

This is supersweet 100, and yes the name suits it !

P1070987x.thumb.jpg.cade43167267a0ef126974b60cf78afe.jpg

They do seem to be late this year don't they? I only picked our first one a couple days ago. Strange when so much wild stuff seems to be really early. There's damsons almost ready round here for instance.

It’s not going to win any prizes for beauty but is certainly the biggest tomato that I have grown. 
The first time that I have grown this variety (Inca), they are absolutely heaving with fruit, massive yield with solid flesh and great flavour.

D24CF917-08AF-487E-B653-89936AF03F98.jpegJust weighed in at 750g.

Edited by 5thelement
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, 5thelement said:

It’s not going to win any prizes for beauty but is certainly the biggest tomato that I have grown. 
The first time that I have grown this variety (Inca), they are absolutely heaving with fruit, massive yield with solid flesh and great flavour.

D24CF917-08AF-487E-B653-89936AF03F98.jpegJust weighed in at 750g.

Impressive. It looks more like a pepper in form and size. How long did it take to get that big?

27 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Impressive. It looks more like a pepper in form and size. How long did it take to get that big?

I reckon they have been developing for about 8-10 weeks now, full sun and outside grown.

It has been unusually warm for an extended period, 30 degrees for most of the last three months with highs of 40 plus, it’s only rained about three times in that period.

• Like 1

Just starting to get cherry toms now, peppers are massive but not turning red although I'm wondering has there been a  mixup with the seeds...

A lot of big, green Tom's and a lack of sunshine the last few days not helping. The rain has done wonders for the carrots and the beetroot though. Never had better.

First kapusta (polish version of sauerkraut) has been made tonight. Cauliflowers averaging over 1kg per head! Broadbeans and peas doing well, have a lot of podding to do this week.

Gonna be the first time we will have a useful amount of frozen peas for winter, I'm a bit surprised as the plants were looking weak for a long time and only came good in the last 3 weeks or so.

Got two damson trees, one very sparse crop and the other is heavily laden. Got everything ready for jam making in a week or so time when they’re ripe. Figs were lovely, only half what I got last year though so just eating them rather than making chutney. Red currants were excellent, Victoria plums all have a maggot inside  so got to try and sort that next year.

Plenty of Bramleys coming on and a few eaters too. Morello cherries were the sweetest we’ve ever had - normally sharp but this year could eat them straight off the tree 👍

209E879F-63F2-44EF-9A46-296404C4125E.jpeg

Edited by rapalaman
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

First non-cherry tomatoes just starting to ripen, this is Moneymaker

P1080004x.jpg.3cd4d30a848aaaa5f3c01a10cc1ee593.jpg

And also a new waterbutt for the greenhouse, 1200l slimline so just fits down the side of the shed nicely, fed from a couple of outbuildings gutters. Tap is a normal 1/4 turn 22mm full bore isolation valve, straight through, and the hose is 3/4" so you get a good flow using gravity alone. Hose reaches into the greenhouse.

P1070998x.jpg.5a5eb9b654603d8d0ebc87c110fb17a7.jpg

P1080001x.jpg.f303361222b139d813ecc1b7dc74423a.jpg

• Like 5

Good stuff.  This summer has brought home the need for rainwater harvesting, especially here in the south.  I've just been given a tank that size, I'll hopefully grab another one next year from the same source and I may well buy a used one too; they're not exy second hand.

We don't have many veggies to water but we've only lived here 18 months so have loads of newly planted stuff in both the ground and pots; Her Maj has a penchant for Agapanthus which are hungry and thirsty.