How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

20 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

I don't, my better half does! I just eat them! But yeah, mostly vinegar although tomatoes are lightly salted and vacuumed in reusable jars, a lot of the veg is blanched and frozen or just straight frozen. Jams obviously sugar based and herbs are dried.

Has she tries sauerkraut? I'm told as long as there is some cabbage other vegetable can be added.

You and @gary112 put me to shame.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2022 at 23:37, Conor Wright said:

I don't, my better half does! I just eat them! But yeah, mostly vinegar although tomatoes are lightly salted and vacuumed in reusable jars, a lot of the veg is blanched and frozen or just straight frozen. Jams obviously sugar based and herbs are dried.

While vinegar is the base adding a few bay leaves, a ring of onion, star anise etc adds another dimension of taste. Beetroot in vinegar with 2 cloves half a star anise and a bay leaf is delicious!

The ogorki I mentioned earlier can be kept in salted water for a good few weeks, a bloom forms on top but that actually helps protect them. 

I can't claim to have much knowledge of the preserving side of things but it might make an interesting thread of its own, there must be a few others out there doing similar.

Yeah, I reckon a new thread on the preserving of home grown produce might well be a goer. It is a subject that's popped up a few times on Arbtalk, on this and the Cooking thread for example. 

I always make chutney/pickle with the inevitable glut of courgettes, the ones that "get away" and turn into behemoths seemingly overnight. Keeps me in tasty cheese sandwiches for the year if I'm lucky.

As Openspaceman mentioned, Sauerkraut is good, and very easy to make if there's an excess of cabbage. All it needs is salt and a bit of spice or herbs like full seeds.

Edited by sime42
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Yeah, I reckon a new thread on the preserving of home grown produce might well be a goer. It is a subject that's popped up a few times on Arbtalk, on this and the Cooking thread for example. 

I always make chutney/pickle with the inevitable glut of courgettes, the ones that "get away" and turn into behemoths seemingly overnight. Keeps me in tasty cheese sandwiches for the year if I'm lucky.

As Openspaceman mentioned, Sauerkraut is good, and very easy to make if there's an excess of cabbage. All it needs is salt and a bit of spice or herbs like full seeds.

If you build it, they will come.

Edited by AHPP

On 21/07/2022 at 20:10, openspaceman said:

Has she tries sauerkraut? I'm told as long as there is some cabbage other vegetable can be added.

You and @gary112 put me to shame.

Yes, of sorts, with red cabbage. Just layer it into a jar with a sprinkle of salt and pack it down. Not my favourite but it does go well with duck!

Theres no shame in growing anything. Believe me, our first attempts were nothing to be proud of!