How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

On the subject of apples, my dads apples are going rotten on the tree, they look healthy but once you cut them open they are full of brown rot, googling the symptoms comes up with the name “brown rot”. Anyone experienced this? And any treatments / advice to be had for it? The tree itself this past week has started to look weathered and wilted on the leaves, with very apparent browning of them all.

• 2 weeks later...

30 minutes ago, david lawrence said:

I heard the fly can only reach a very low altitude 40mm or sometning

tip was to grow them in an old water tank or similar tall container 

it worked got lovely carrots and no bending over 

double win

I had a raised veg patch til last month. Never had an issue with Carrot Fly where as the FIL always does. Flattened the Veg patch now and put grass seed down as I'll be moving the veg patch further away from the house. Gonna stick with Garlic though as its the best money saving for the area and we eat about 4 a week at a minimum. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't really want to grow tatties this year, but I planted a few sprouting ones from last year accidental tatties.

So this all started out as a few supermarket potato peelings in the compost bin, a good few years ago! No idea what variety but they're lovely.

P1070652.JPG

• Like 3

On 29/08/2021 at 20:06, Ratman said:

On the subject of apples, my dads apples are going rotten on the tree, they look healthy but once you cut them open they are full of brown rot, googling the symptoms comes up with the name “brown rot”. Anyone experienced this? And any treatments / advice to be had for it? The tree itself this past week has started to look weathered and wilted on the leaves, with very apparent browning of them all.

Had it in both apples' fruits, both pears' and the gage; all fruit rotted on the tree.  You need to pick it when it first appears mouldy and deeply bury it or remove it from site apparently.

• Like 1