How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Planing an October halloween  sale ?

I was hoping so but as much for fun as anything. Last year everybody ran out, now that might mean supply does not cover demand so I will make a few quid or it might mean everybody has planted millions this year and I won't be able to give them away.

At the very least me and the grandkids will have some fun out of them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Do you remove the majority of the leaves or did get drop themselves?

I was of the understanding that the leaves need to stay (by not shade) to allow the tomatoes to reach their full potential.

Strip at least half the leaves off to help ripening them Andy,but also it stops the plant putting its energy into growing the leaves(just the fruit)

Edited by gary112

Sunlight doesn't help ripen toms apparenlty only factors are ethylene temp and humidity so leaves can stay imo... (unless gone yellow /diseased)

LAIDBACKGARDENER.BLOG

Even tomatoes completely hidden by foliage ripen. Photo: www.denverpost.com At the end of the summer, my father...

Cutting top growing point off is good idea though.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Stere said:

Sunlight doesn't help ripen toms apparenlty only factors are ethylene temp and humidity so leaves can stay imo... (unless gone yellow /diseased)

LAIDBACKGARDENER.BLOG

Even tomatoes completely hidden by foliage ripen. Photo: www.denverpost.com At the end of the summer, my father...

I have never had any improvements in ripening by removing the leaves. I did it twice as an experiment, one side of the greenhouse had the leaves removed, the other not, the ones with leaves ripened the same and where better sized. 
I generally remove the tops at 4-5 bunches of flowers if outside, 6-7 bunches if in the polytunnel.

• Like 1

200803a-www.denverpost.com_.jpg?w=640 LAIDBACKGARDENER.BLOG

I always have better ripening removing the leaves covering the tomatoes. I guess there will always be conflicting opinions though.

“If the fruits are hidden under the leaves, thin out the foliage a little to let the sun through to ripen them. “

WWW.GARDENERSWORLD.COM

Find out how to grow tomatoes, with advice on sowing, growing and harvesting, in our Grow Guide.

“For cordon (indeterminate) tomatoes, there is evidence by that removing some leaves above the ripening truss (which allows the fruit to be warmer during the day but cooler at night) can encourage slightly earlier ripening, without negatively affecting cropping. “

I always pinch out the tip a couple of leaves about the 6-7th truss in the Polytunnel and 4th truss outdoors.
  • Like 2

Not far off.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Graeme Watson's prize gooseberry saw off the competition at a centuries' old fruit show.

WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

Elderly amateur gardener Bryan Nellist has finally broken the record for growing the world's biggest gooseberry months after a row broke over how the berries were weighed.

• Like 1