How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

In Worcestershire(midlands) Matthew,eaten a few already,should be picking tomatoes pretty soon aswell
Must be a Midlands thing, I'm also in the W.M and very happy with the veg garden in the main this year.

Lettuces are growing well. Courgettes are just starting to kick into full production and peas, Mangetout, have gone crazy. Plants are 7ft tall now and we're picking enough for a meal almost every day. I'm not growing cucumbers this year, trying gherkins instead; they're productive. Loads of toms coming but non starting to ripen yet. The French beans aren't even flowering yet but I was late getting them in.

I can never get my successive seed sowing right. I'll have a gap in my salad veg soon. Got lots of seedlings but they're only just big enough to plant out now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sime42 said:

Must be a Midlands thing, I'm also in the W.M and very happy with the veg garden in the main this year.

Lettuces are growing well. Courgettes are just starting to kick into full production and peas, Mangetout, have gone crazy. Plants are 7ft tall now and we're picking enough for a meal almost every day. I'm not growing cucumbers this year, trying gherkins instead; they're productive. Loads of toms coming but non starting to ripen yet. The French beans aren't even flowering yet but I was late getting them in.

I can never get my successive seed sowing right. I'll have a gap in my salad veg soon. Got lots of seedlings but they're only just big enough to plant out now.

Yeah midlands is easy street as far as the weather is concerned! I used to live there and rarely recall a time In 4 years where weather conditions put a stop to work like it doesn’t on a regular basis here. My sister still lives there and her garden looks like something out of gardeners world this year

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic - anyone any good at identifying apples? We have got three trees in the garden of the house we moved into in February, so I’m curious to know what to expect.

I think two are cooking apples but these look like an eater - just not sure what? IMG_1627154525.958291.jpg

35 minutes ago, djbobbins said:

anyone any good at identifying apples?

My best guess would be Golden Delicious but not easy at this time of year and from the pic. Everyone seems to say "oh no, not Golden Delicious I don't like them" but give them a chance, UK grown Goldens can be a very good apple. 

Have you had hail storms there because they look like they have hail damage.

My best guess would be Golden Delicious but not easy at this time of year and from the pic. Everyone seems to say "oh no, not Golden Delicious I don't like them" but give them a chance, UK grown Goldens can be a very good apple. 

Have you had hail storms there because they look like they have hail damage.

No hail storms this summer, yet, fortunately. Are they not a bit dark-skinned to be golden delicious?

1 hour ago, djbobbins said:

Slightly off topic - anyone any good at identifying apples? We have got three trees in the garden of the house we moved into in February, so I’m curious to know what to expect.

I think two are cooking apples but these look like an eater - just not sure what? IMG_1627154525.958291.jpg

They look like they are turning a purple colour,in which case by the shape aswell i would say Spartan

43 minutes ago, djbobbins said:

No hail storms this summer, yet, fortunately. Are they not a bit dark-skinned to be golden delicious?

Goldens start off pretty dark and reddish, they change as they ripen. They are about the right colour and shape for Goldens, I don't think they are Spartan as they are not dark enough and the stems look too long.

I will try and take pics of my apples tomorrow to illustrate.

Another possibility is Gala. There are an awful lot of varieties out there, I am very familiar with probably 20 but there are loads more I wouldn't know especially older varieties.