How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

Had my first new potatoes (Allouette) Sunday, 78 days after planting. I've seven rows of those and Clairette, reds from Brittany. Not one flower at all this year, hence why I turned over one of the plants to see what was happening. About the usual number of spuds but definately had an earthy taste to them. Last year's were delicious, that's why I bought them again. Weather has been incredibly wet until 10 days ago with temperatures for the last few days in the 30s,   32 degrees today. Maybe that's messed up the growing cycle. Although I've got about 5 growing in the compost heap that are budding up now. Onions are very tall but no real sign of the bulbs filling out, again planted around 80 days ago. For the second year I've planted slices of tomatoes in compost then transplanted into trays then out in the garden. Last year I had better results with them than the few plants  I bought at the market.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

Had my first new potatoes (Allouette) Sunday, 78 days after planting. I've seven rows of those and Clairette, reds from Brittany. Not one flower at all this year, hence why I turned over one of the plants to see what was happening. About the usual number of spuds but definately had an earthy taste to them. Last year's were delicious, that's why I bought them again. Weather has been incredibly wet until 10 days ago with temperatures for the last few days in the 30s,   32 degrees today. Maybe that's messed up the growing cycle. Although I've got about 5 growing in the compost heap that are budding up now. Onions are very tall but no real sign of the bulbs filling out, again planted around 80 days ago. For the second year I've planted slices of tomatoes in compost then transplanted into trays then out in the garden. Last year I had better results with them than the few plants  I bought at the market.

I got the same trouble with onions David,loads of lush top and showing no signs of the bulb swelling

• Like 1

Had the first cucumber off the plant, lots on the way. The tomatoes are forming and the spring onions are looking good.

On the spring onion front, last year was a disaster so this year, I mixed a load of sharp sand in with the soil and planted in clumps, they looked a bit iffy for a couple of weeks but now, they are thickening up a treat and doing well. Onions like free draining soil, too much peat and they get mildewy and rot.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Had the first cucumber off the plant, lots on the way. The tomatoes are forming and the spring onions are looking good.

On the spring onion front, last year was a disaster so this year, I mixed a load of sharp sand in with the soil and planted in clumps, they looked a bit iffy for a couple of weeks but now, they are thickening up a treat and doing well. Onions like free draining soil, too much peat and they get mildewy and rot.

I did the same, we had a terrace built, sharp sand left over put on the patch for my carrots. Never had any luck with carrots in the three years we bought the house. The sand has made all the difference.  I planted a slack handful of pumpkin and cucumber seedlings in the base of the compost heap, gone absolutely crazy.

• Like 2

My courgettes are further on than yours and I’m in the tundra of Durham! Where’s you at?
Ps, I don’t do anything for slugs. Used to… salt, pellets etc. Now not so much of a problem since using raised beds
Bugger, I thought I'd vetted the photos for any incriminating or shaming evidence! I'm in the Midlands so by rights mine should be further on than yours. I think probably I was a little late in sowing them and secondly I didn't really harden them off before planting out. They were looking good in the pots week before last. Since they've been in though they haven't done much. Weather doesn't help either; this hot sun is hammering them.
I've never quite got my head around the process of hardening off to be honest.