How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

I'm struggling at the moment, no where's to put the many pots of young plants, seedlings and germinating seeds. Run out of window sill space in the house and still too cold at night to move things into the greenhouse.

Bubblewarp  or argi fleece  over the top of them at night if forcast is cold is  useful 2 stop  frost in the greenhouse knackering non hardly  seedlings.

Edited by Stere

This isn't my garden but a client's I worked at Monday stump grinding. Thought it might be of interest. It's a manor house owned by a France chap and his Thai wife, both vegans, but never mind that, they are both lovely people. She is an expert in Permaculture,  practised it extensively in Thailand. Dig once then cover in compost, straw, grass cuttings, anything that will rot down. Instead of making up raised beds as we probably would, they use any branches that have been cut off their trees, nothing is wasted, to form the walls. They only bought the place last year so have been hard at it since. If you saw my thread on horse logging, that was on the adjoining property, all the same manor house but divided into two huge houses. The neighbour's is like a park, absolutely immaculate whilst this couples is, shall we say at the other end of the spectrum! What they've done is kept the grass down neat and cut rides through the wild areas, leaving plenty for nature to crack on. They intend living "The good life", cash seems to be provided by his family. I was invited in for my lunch, corn dog sandwiches and mustard out of my grub box, they didn't quite recoil in horror, but not far off. The nosh they were eating smelt repulsive if I'm honest, leaves and stuff with rice. Interesting day, I learnt a bit more of alternative lifestyles.

20210426_091546.jpg

20210426_091404.jpg

20210426_091343.jpg

20210426_090745.jpg

20210426_090506.jpg

20210426_090207.jpg

20210426_085334.jpg

20210426_085651.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

How long did it take them to tell you they were vegans?

When I went to do the quote. Couldn't take the pee out of him, he does martial arts. Plus Yoga, plus aromatherapy plus reiki and all the other Black Arts. Really nice folk.

• Like 1

The walled garden area doesn't look very productive for food compared to what it must of being like historically packed full of flowers and veg ands fruit trees  vines etc against all thoose walls etc.

Also majority of  veg doesn't like shade from trees much.

Edited by Stere

12 minutes ago, Stere said:

The walled garden area doesn't look very productive for food compared to what it must of being like historically packed full of flowers and veg ands fruit trees  vines etc against all thoose walls etc.

Also majority of  veg doesn't like shade from trees much.

They've only been there 7 months. You need some shade here in the summer months, this lady knows what she's doing. I lose a lot of plants with the heat and strong sunlight.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 20:47, Dan Maynard said:

Plenty of those late frosts arrived, how are you getting on?

Not bad, all the toms are in the green house and around 5" tall, the peppers are also in (around 2" tall) will put the cucumbers out in the next couple of weeks. All auto irrigated.....screw fix timer which works really well.

I am trying to get the earliest crops possible. 

• Like 2