How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, gary112 said:

that must be torture for them chucks

Don't worry, they've got enough going on in their lives. They had the run of the vegetable garden for the winter until a few weeks ago, and as well as everything in their run, they have a few dedicated chard, spinach, and brassica plants to themselves, and they get everything that is manky, bolted or otherwise finished. Plus any weeds and slugs. 

(Their run covers 3 sides of this little polytunnel too, so they are on constant slug patrol for me, which is very kind of them.) 

Edited by peds
  • Like 2

In other news... I have 20-odd blackcurrant and redcurrant cuttings taken last year just about to wake up. 

This morning I fed the overwintering things in the tunnel with a splash of seaweed and nettle tea, seeing as we've got about a week of good weather predicted for here I figure they'll make the most of it.

I have garlic, leeks, chard, salads and a few oriental leaves, and a patch of 3-cornered garlic.

20210228_120622.jpg

20210228_120643.jpg

20210228_115551.jpg

• Like 1

Well, the toms, cucumbers and courgettes are beginning to come up in the propagator. Something rather basic and spiritual about the first signs of life from your seedlings that will hopefully feed you this summer.

Always an uplifting feeling coming out of winter.

God, I sound like a hippie:D

Sowed peas, courgettes, garlic, onions, cauliflower and spring onions so far in the greenhouse- no sign of life yet might be a bit early but thought I’d risk planting for a longer growing season- can always start again in April if non of it takes...

Edited by Matthew Storrs
  • Like 1

Bloody hell chaps, you're early with your sowings. I've not even thought about things like courgettes yet. I'll try to get the toms in today at least. My chilly seedlings are looking good from last month and most of the garlic I planted at the end of last year is starting to appear.
I love the positivity of spring. Most trees are now showing signs of life with nice fat buds appearing, including all our fruit trees in the garden. Hoping to get a couple of new apples this year from grafts I did a couple years ago.

14 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Bloody hell chaps, you're early with your sowings. I've not even thought about things like courgettes yet. I'll try to get the toms in today at least. My chilly seedlings are looking good from last month and most of the garlic I planted at the end of last year is starting to appear.

Same here, I resist the urge to plant things too early otherwise I spend all my time trying to stop things from getting too leggy. We don't have a heated greenhouse and even if we did courgettes can't be planted out until May.

We'll start off the toms and chillies today. Perhaps some peas and mangetouts as well.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, sime42 said:

This is why we don't put tea bags in the compost bin anymore. Apparently almost all manufacturers put a small amount of plastic in the bags. Rank. 

Saddo that I am I rip the bags open, spill the contents into the kitchen compost bin and bin the empties.  You can get plastic-free teabags but they cost.  Also I drink decaff and paying for plastic-free decaff teabags is too painful.

• Like 2

Saddo that I am I rip the bags open, spill the contents into the kitchen compost bin and bin the empties.  You can get plastic-free teabags but they cost.  Also I drink decaff and paying for plastic-free decaff teabags is too painful.
Good man. I'd like to do that but sadly am too lazy.
I've just leant that PG Tips don't use plastic in their bags. Maybe time to change to them.