How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

7 minutes ago, daveatdave said:

are the toms all the same variety Gary as there is a lot of difference in size  i seem to have the same thing even the beef tomatoes are small

3 different varieties ,gardeners delight,shirley and the other i cant remember

Dads had shirleys and sweet millions, does same every year, but this year hes swamped cos even all his seeds took when he potted when a lump usually dont make it. I’ve never shat so many seeds in a year [emoji90][emoji23]

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/08/2020 at 21:31, gary112 said:

8B038C52-0EA9-4F0C-97CD-DA6CC75EA78A.thumb.jpeg.9daf5d2dfc9b2f41575d34bb57fc9f6c.jpegjust picked this lot again tonight,getting this many toms everyday now 

That is impressive. First year growing tomatoes For me and it’s was going great, healthy plants fairly heavy crop and the. Bang the whole lot got blight, and in any case any fruits that haven’t yet rotted are refusing to ripen. But disheartening but will try a better compost next year- this years compost was from Lidl’s as was the only place I could find any at the time!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

That is impressive. First year growing tomatoes For me and it’s was going great, healthy plants fairly heavy crop and the. Bang the whole lot got blight, and in any case any fruits that haven’t yet rotted are refusing to ripen. But disheartening but will try a better compost next year- this years compost was from Lidl’s as was the only place I could find any at the time!

Once the fruits start forming well i always deleaf quite heavily which seems to work well against getting blight,and i always feed every 5 days with liquid seaweed,if you pick em and bring indoors they sometimes ripen or you can make green tomatoe chutney which is nice,dont give up?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Got plenty beetroot Eggs,about to start pickling em,sweetcorn,cabbage,still picking a few tomatoes and just started on the parsnips?

I'm not having much luck this evening! The only two veg I don't like are runners and beetroot. I did get a bag of toms given to me today... Bonus. 

Normally (when pubs were normal) I very rarely paid for veg, a couple of old boys from the allotments kept me stocked.

• Haha 1