How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

Do you have  massively long bean wig wam?

I bought a load of 8ft tonkin 18-20mm a few yrs back and using re-useable cable ties for lashing teh bean sticks .

(Was fed up of hazel having to crowbar bar the holes)

Also bamboo  last  alot longer.

Sown. Used to be all by hand but a lot easier dropping the seed down the spout of a strawberry planter.

Didnt use wigwams, had a single row of vertical canes between tall fence posts. Canes were 6’ pushed in the ground about 6” and tied with bale string. One single strand as tight as you can and then weave another to it tying in the canes.

Dont do it any more as you can’t sell enough to make it worthwhile. Modern housewives don’t want to cook anything that needs preparing it seems. They buy French beans instead so they can just chuck them in a pan.

Courgettes, Cucumber, Toms (Cherry and normal), Lettuce, Chilli and chives all doing well in the green house, runner beans in pots seeds just planted, Spring onions in the ground and doing well. The only hindrance has been a cat shitting in my veggie patch so have had to put a fence around it....I hate shitting cats!

Haven't done all this for years, one of the positive aspects to this Chinese Virus!

• Like 1

Because we cant get out to buy plants,  I've tried slicing ripe tomatoes and laying them into a shallow container with compost in. From 4 slices I've now got around 40 seedlings. I've already transplanted 6 into individual pots, it's a case of seeing what happens. They look heathly enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

The only hindrance has been a cat shitting in my veggie patch so have had to put a fence around it....I hate shitting cats!

Me too, bloody animal has rucked up both my newly sown carrots and wild flower patch.

Haven't done all this for years, one of the positive aspects to this Chinese Virus!

Me too again, must be 40 years since I attempted to grow vegetables. interesting thing is some seed packets were 18 years old and carrots and  coriander have germinated

Luckily I've been asked to pull out some ash trees so will get back to some work soon.

• Like 1

Guest Gimlet

Courgettes, Cucumber, Toms (Cherry and normal), Lettuce, Chilli and chives all doing well in the green house, runner beans in pots seeds just planted, Spring onions in the ground and doing well. The only hindrance has been a cat shitting in my veggie patch so have had to put a fence around it....I hate shitting cats!

Try the garlic granule cat repellent stuff. get it in Homebase. It does work. Keeps them out of my garden but you have to reapply after rain.

If all else fails shoot the fucker.