How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

52 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

I can believe it - one of these centuries an exceptionally dry year will cause another famine

Possibly not so far away either.  Far fewer insects coupled with a drought and we're in trouble.

A couple of blokes I used to work with had neighbouring allotments and the banter was always good to listen to. Favourites were how's the pea row doing, mines like a privet hedge and can I borrow your bow saw I want to cut up a carrot and mine is stuck in a turnip. In our garden at the moment the peas are just ripening, strawberries have about finished and courgettes are producing a couple a day. Tomatoes in the greenhouse are looking promising as well and the two cucumber plants have small cucumbers. Ask these are my wife's hobby I just eat the stuff. 

• 8 months later...

No, but I have mange tout and broad beans in one of my raised beds, bordered by a handful of onion seeds and cos lettuce seeds. I have kale seedlings and leek seedlings waiting to go out into another bed once the cold frame is available for it (currently giving the beans a boost), and a variety of courgettes waiting to sprout before going out into a third bed.

I have a handful of potatoes ready to go into a tub, not the ground.

I also took advantage of that Lidl three fruit trees for twenty quid and have a cherry, a peach, and a plum in big pots now.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Anybody got spuds in the ground yet?

Yea..1st early's went in on the 21st March as the soil was warm enough. 2nd early's should be going in second week in April. Broad beans in a greenhouse seedbed and will go out this week.  Tomato plants were potted on to there final pot size today so will give them a few weeks then plant in the G house.

• Like 3

We have a few bits in the ground in the tunnel, beans, carrots, courgette, onion and shallot sets alongside overwintering garlic, broccoli, cauliflower. One bay is ready for first early spuds.

Tomatoes, melons, cucumbers, marjoram, parsley, sage, lemon balm, thyme, peas etc all in trays.

Have the outdoor beds covered in plastic over winter, this will be removed in the next week and prepped as a stale seedbad for spuds, onions, brassicas parsnips, carrots etc

I do the donkey work, bringing in muck and compost, ploughing ridging etc
My better half does the actual plant care, seeding and watering. If it was all left to me they would probably die. Will take a few pics during the week.

• Like 4