Ms201t sugihara bar, fitting issue.

WoodED

Evening all, I just bought a second hand 201t, I also bought a new 12 inch sugi bar and a chain for it two to find it annoyingly doesn't fit,

The chain is 44 drive links which I'm sure is correct for a 12 inch, there is a bolt stopping the bar from adjusting enough as the end of the bar is closed(see pics) and the end of the old stihl bar is open, Has anyone else had this problem? Can I just remove this screw? ImageUploadedByArbtalk1496856955.010137.jpg.2e0a887b05471a49cc5bd907c1dc642b.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1496856981.527169.jpg.a811b8e8762e8e3aa4eb84f91c2e97c5.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1496856916.307296.jpg.4ea2bfd8786695061a1aaf652537ef35.jpg

You can not remove that screw, it's the only thing that keeps the bar aligned and stops it rotating around the single clamping stud. Have a look at the wear pattern on the screw where it contacts the bar that tells you it's doing a job.

If it were a cheap old bar you might consider cutting the slot right out the end (like the Stihl)....

bmp01.

The BN6 mount bars are the universal type to fit all small chainsaws (same as the carving bars). They should still fit the MS201T.

Options are:

• We can send you a chain x1 drive link shorter and see if this solves it
  • Grind out the heel of the bar so it is open like the Stihl bar - we'll cover the warranty if you feel this does not work
  • Or we can send you out the standard 12" sugi bar that runs 3/8 lo pro .050 (as the bar you have I think is 3/8 .043).

But with the narrower chain that bar you have should cut faster than the standard 3/8 .043

Let us know.

The BN6 mount bars are the universal type to fit all small chainsaws (same as the carving bars). They should still fit the MS201T.

Options are:

• We can send you a chain x1 drive link shorter and see if this solves it
  • Grind out the heel of the bar so it is open like the Stihl bar - we'll cover the warranty if you feel this does not work
  • Or we can send you out the standard 12" sugi bar that runs 3/8 lo pro .050 (as the bar you have I think is 3/8 .043).

But with the narrower chain that bar you have should cut faster than the standard 3/8 .043

Let us know.

:thumbup: Nice set of options for WoodED to choose from :thumbup:

Just looking at the thickness of the bridge (on the bar) and the amount of slack in the chain, if the heel of bar is ground out and the bar moved forward to tension the chain - its got to be touch and go whether the bar will be located by the "screw" that WoodED refers to. Add in a little wear and further adjustment ....

Also what's the situation with adjuster travel?

WoodED take the screw out temporarily, so you can see where the bar needs to sit - that'll answer the question. You could also work out where the bar would sit with a 1 link shorter chain, ie moving the bar inboard by 3/8".

Rob - what's the "known" set up that others have used successfully on this saw? That's probably the best guidance.

bmp01