Steam bending wood....

SteveA

I would be surprised if bone oak could be bent after steaming it is usually a bit big in diameter , I am curious as to why you want to bend it , what are you planning to do ?? a section of steel , or cast pipe blanked off at one end would make a decent boiling / steaming pot just put in a fire at an angle .... would like to see your results if you try ...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be surprised if bone oak could be bent after steaming it is usually a bit big in diameter , I am curious as to why you want to bend it , what are you planning to do ?? a section of steel , or cast pipe blanked off at one end would make a decent boiling / steaming pot just put in a fire at an angle .... would like to see your results if you try ...

The bone oak I'm looking to bend is quite small in diameter and will be used for rose arches.

cheers, Steve

Nice demo of steam bending in bag in this clip

That's a great video.... very simple. Love it! I'm sold on the boil in a bag... :thumbup:

cheers, Steve

The thickest I have bent is 5" dry oak, normally 2". There is no substitute for time. I allow 2hrs/inch. I like an insulated box to keep the heat in (I use an old fridge freezer with the boxes knocked through and slots in the end.

If you leave it less time it is more likely to crack at defects. Another trick to reduce this happening is to screw a strip of clean, knot free timber cut with the grain around the outside of the curve before steaming.

Alec

Bending 5" dry oak?

Really? With what?

Or was it really long?

[emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yes, really. It was the liner sections in the bow of my boat. Can't find any specific pictures but in the picture of it in the link below, if you look at the bow you can see gunwhales are around 7.75" wide which is covering 2" of hull plank, 0.75" of shearing/felt/chalico and 5" of liner. The bow section of the liner is around 9' long.

Samson · National Historic Ships UK

You can see how the bending was done in the link below, for some of the hull planks. You can see that the bow planks needed both bend and twist.

Samson | Historic Narrow Boat Club

Thames barges typically have 3" hull planks, which are also steam bent into position.

Alec

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, really. It was the liner sections in the bow of my boat. Can't find any specific pictures but in the picture of it in the link below, if you look at the bow you can see gunwhales are around 7.75" wide which is covering 2" of hull plank, 0.75" of shearing/felt/chalico and 5" of liner. The bow section of the liner is around 9' long.

Samson · National Historic Ships UK

You can see how the bending was done in the link below, for some of the hull planks. You can see that the bow planks needed both bend and twist.

Samson | Historic Narrow Boat Club

Thames barges typically have 3" hull planks, which are also steam bent into position.

Alec

Saw your boat and remembered this film (lots of other interesting ones by the same group)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk