Hi all,

I have been qualified in crosscutting, maintenance and small tree felling for a good few months now, and after a good amount of saving from a part time job (im 16), I would like to get another qualification.

My issue(s), is that im not sure if my current PPE will work for tree climbing and free fall techniques. I know I will be required to buy the ropes etc, however I was wondering how much of the PPE I use for work on the ground will translate to CS38/9 if any.

My current PPE is:

Husqvarna forest helmet

Stihl function ergo chainsaw trousers, whilst on my course my instructor mentioned that my trousers has no protection around the back, pointing out that they would not be the style used in climbing, is this correct?

Husqvarna chainsaw wellingtons (24 m/s), are chainsaw boots mandatory for CS38 /9 or will I be able to get by with my wellingtons?

I would also like to know if a normal climbing harness, carabiner and belay device would be of use?

Thanks

Hi mate firstly well done for being pro active about gettin yourself qualifications alot of guys expect employers to pay for training so good on you for doing it yourself.

You'll need boots for your climbing course,wellies wont do it in afraid.Cs38 is just climbing trees so no chainsaw protective gear is needed.Cs39 is the use of a chainsaw while in a tree so you will need chainsaw protective boots for that one.Also you need type c trousers that give all round protection and a climbing helmet that has a chin strap so your forestry helmet wont do.

The harness has to be fit for purpose and loler inspected before you could use it on the course,same with the carabiner and belay.

I have a feeling your gear is rock climbing and i doubt your instructor will let you use them.

You may be able to hire a full climbing kit off the training providers.

I have some kit i could give you if your willing to pay the postage-type c trousers size medium and some other bits and bobs.let me know if your interested mate.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the quick response, that fills me in on just about everything, thanks again. I would be more than happy to pay postage and extra for that gear you mentioned, I'd feel bad just taking it off your hands for nothing.

Thanks for the quick response, that fills me in on just about everything, thanks again. I would be more than happy to pay postage and extra for that gear you mentioned, I'd feel bad just taking it off your hands for nothing.

No worries mate,its arbortec type c trousers size medium so 32 to 36 waist.i ll have a nosey around my lock up to see what else ive got.personal message me your details and ill let u know when i post out to you mate.