Landrover Trouble...

Tree Man Tom

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didnt you sell a Landy? :confused1:

Yep, still got the old engine out of it mate. I had a new engine put in shortly before i sold it because i thought the big end bearings had gone because it had a bad knocking noise.

Ive been meaning to strip down the old engine to see what the actualy problem was and plus i fancy some piston paper weights :blushing::thumbup:

Yep, still got the old engine out of it mate. I had a new engine put in shortly before i sold it because i thought the big end bearings had gone because it had a bad knocking noise.

Ive been meaning to strip down the old engine to see what the actualy problem was and plus i fancy some piston paper weights :blushing::thumbup:

Ahhhhh im with you now mate, I was thinking you put a new engine in, Didnt realise you still had the old one, Id love to play about stripping down a bust engine, really need to improve my mechanics, as im sooooooo bad with cars at the moment :blushing::laugh1:

Ahhhhh im with you now mate, I was thinking you put a new engine in, Didnt realise you still had the old one, Id love to play about stripping down a bust engine, really need to improve my mechanics, as im sooooooo bad with cars at the moment :blushing::laugh1:

Its the best way to go about it mate, just strip down and have a play to see how they work. The best mechanics i know are self taught.

I'm on that learning curve this weekend, I've stripped the Jag IRS out of my Hot Rod to clean and rebuild with some new parts here and there which isn't difficult, but I've also got to strip and rebuild this Holley carb which is new territory for me. Never done a carb before and the original builder told me that to get it right took him a fortnight when he made the car. If you want to know how it works - take it to peices!

I'm on that learning curve this weekend, I've stripped the Jag IRS out of my Hot Rod to clean and rebuild with some new parts here and there which isn't difficult, but I've also got to strip and rebuild this Holley carb which is new territory for me. Never done a carb before and the original builder told me that to get it right took him a fortnight when he made the car. If you want to know how it works - take it to peices!

Exactly. The worst thing that can happen is you have to pay someone to put it back together :biggrin:

Well took the big ends apart and all seemed ok, so i dnt think it was that. Hmmmm just got to have a look at the small end bearings when i take the pistons out but its looking very much like the cambelt slipped and put the timing out ever slow slighty, but enough to make valves and pistons contact each other. (but valves all seem ok, just marked pistons) :confused1:

I took some pics but they didnt come out very well, will take some more tommrorow hopefully.

Its the lightest of marks tbh... was running fine, just knocking and oil everywhere, took the oil pump apart to and everything seemed intact.

It nice stripping down the engine though, tis interesting how it all works.