Cheap top handles

s.varty

12 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Get a reconditioned TS400 consaw and stick a carbide cluster blade on it!

Are these blades any good? Its first time ive ever heard of them. Ive a good few self seeded black thorns to cut out at just under ground level 1 inch dimeter. Last back end was using a ms181 on a 12 inch bar but it became a struggle but it managed what i needed to do.  

On 03/09/2021 at 18:01, dumper said:

Carbide blade will do the job no problem try not to let it get blunt turn the blade every two or three tanks and if gets really blunt strike it with a hard file to fracture the cluster 

I'd use a Stihlsaw with a Terrasaur Blade rather than a chainsaw when soil or metal is expected. Recommended for root cutting, but be warned: They are absolutely correct, you cannot  use it as a stump grinder! Well, as soon as they say you can't do something, you have to try it, don't you? 😉 Mine has cut roots, pallets and other crap. It's a lot slower than a chainsaw, but versatile. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

I'd use a Stihlsaw with a Terrasaur Blade rather than a chainsaw when soil or metal is expected. Recommended for root cutting, but be warned: They are absolutely correct, you cannot  use it as a stump grinder! Well, as soon as they say you can't do something, you have to try it, don't you? 😉 Mine has cut roots, pallets and other crap. It's a lot slower than a chainsaw, but versatile. 

A lot lot slower. I have one but hardly use it, easier to use a chainsaw and bin the chain after, particularly on large roots. Often you need the plunge depth of the saw also. 

17 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Why can't you use it as a stump grinder? I get that it's not designed to be played side to side like a proper grinder, but what's wrong with cutting multiple parallel slots in the stump and adzing them with a sharp pickaxe? What was it that stumped you when you tried it?

If you're going to start using axes, adzes, picks, mattocks, chisels and semtex, then the blade is not bringing that much to the party. 

Doobin, I completely accept what you say. I never said it was the answer to life, the universe and everything, just ( in my humble opinion ) a good alternative to wrecking saws and chains. 

Edited by Peter 1955

But Peter, what was it exactly about the Terrasaur® blade that disappointed you? I wanna know. I gotta know! Dammit, spill the beans, man!!

Surely it's got to be easier cutting chanels with a cluster blade and adzing them, rather than working a stump with hand tools alone? Stands to reason. Not all of us need or can afford a stump grinder, but we do have old consaws. A Terrasaur® blade would be worth the 50 odd quid investment for the once in a blue moon occasion I need to remove a stump. I want to buy one, maybe, so I need to know the details of why you found it unsuited to stump removal. Or was it the case that it was ok for chipping away at a stump, but frustrating compared to a stump grinder?

Edited by Haironyourchest

35 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

But Peter, what was it exactly about the Terrasaur® blade that disappointed you? I wanna know. I gotta know! Dammit, spill the beans, man!!

Surely it's got to be easier cutting chanels with a cluster blade and adzing them, rather than working a stump with hand tools alone? Stands to reason. Not all of us need or can afford a stump grinder, but we do have old consaws. A Terrasaur® blade would be worth the 50 odd quid investment for the once in a blue moon occasion I need to remove a stump. I want to buy one, maybe, so I need to know the details of why you found it unsuited to stump removal. Or was it the case that it was ok for chipping away at a stump, but frustrating compared to a stump grinder?

It's great for cutting roots. It's great for cutting tyres, pallets, belting and all sorts of stuff that's abrasive, dirty and/or unkind to other cutting tools. It's a cutting tool, it cuts. You can't run it laterally over a dead, rotting stump to lower it. You can cut the roots, and dig the blighter out, because that's what it's designed for. I tried to grind on a stump which was very soft and weak. It's not the tool for the job. Had I intended to dig the stump out, it's perfect. 

There's nothing else I know of on the market like it. It's a perfect piece of kit for that Blue Moon job. Get one, you won't regret it. ( Not if you can buy one for £50 you won't, mine was over £100! )

Edited by Peter 1955
  • Like 1