5837 and topo surveys

sloth

Oh, it also automatically plots all the trees/RPAs etc too, which saves time, and time is money...

Similar to keysofts LandcadLT, by the sound of it. Takes all the site measurements (if you're set up properly) and plots the RPA, canopy spreads, uses height for shadows etc. All you need to do is tell it where each tree is on the topo dwg.

I messed around with an excel table on a tablet which worked okay, but wasn't that easy to use on site.

I'm using a getac ps236, it's pretty old now, but fairly indestructible and fully waterproof! It's essentially a Windows mobile device, but rugged and with a GPS receiver, using pocketgis for mapping. I think you can get all sorts of options now, including android rather than Windows. Ultimately I went for pear because it was didn't involve an autocad licence and learning that, the pear mapper is pretty intuitive and there support is second to none. They can, while on the phone, take over your map programme and talk you through things even. The time saved in not having to type out hand taken surveys into Excel makes it so worthwhile! A survey of 20 or 30 trees might take me a few hours by the time I've gone back and double checked it all, with the gadget I plug it in and it's there in minutes, which is nice. The full pear package cost me a couple of grand I think (several years ago now) at a time when I really debated if I could afford/justify it, it was worth every penny...

This is more or less my view, except I am using a Trimble Geo. Having a few problems with PT Mapper just now with georeferencing, but once it's working it's simple. A little too simple for out-of-the ordinary situations, but not bad.

The secret here is to use the free Survey Writer programme that comes with PTM Pro and add a section that allows you to record on-site measurements from any tree to any obstacle that you think will be creating a linear barrier to rooting. Initially Councils seem to be happy with circular plots even wherre rooting clearly won't be circular, but if not you at least have the info to be able to crop the RPA without resurveying. PTM Pro allows you to do this. It is also useful when the trees are plotted wrongly due to the inherent imprecision of GPS signals.

Pretty much, yes. It does have some limitations (doesn't everything) but will do most things. Preloaded with tree names, common, binomial, etc, can auto assign sequential tree ids (so you don't end with two T13s!) drop down box preset to what you want etc. It's pretty versatile really, I think it is (was anyway, not sure about now) one of pear techs least advertised great features.

If you want to use their treeMinder management program you do (or at least used to) need to use their preset survey templates. To be honest though, I wasn't keen on that, so haven't used treeMinder since I started using custom survey templates, and just importing the data into Excel to include in a report.

Did you have something specific in mind?

Can you creat whatever spec survey form you want using PTM Pro?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Just adding my worth in on this thread regarding this

Yes, you can create it to survey just about anything. I have created a Japanese knotweed recording survey which mimics the EA paper form. You get the added bonus of a GPS point or an area if you can get around the patches properly.

In regards to the topo maps, most surveys I find myself doing there are no maps available other than architects plans which aren't brilliant sometimes.

Are you guys doing pre tree survey site visits for your 5837 surveys for topo surveys?

I end up buying OS maps from Pear Tech mapshop or from Blackwells. Just pass on the cost and so far no issues.

I'm using pear technology too and find it straight forward and gives a good quality finish. Been using it for 3 years now.