SRT ascent with DdRT work positioning Combo

Rich Rule's idea is a good one. And something I reckon i'd try out. The only problem might be coming down. If you come down on Ddrt system, you can't retrieve the SRT line. But you can't come down on the SRT line without burning through the Prussic. I guess I'd need a Rope Wrench or something on the SRT to deal with that?

What do you reckon?

Cheers

if you really wanted to decend on the srt line like that you could just use a figure 8 as the additional friction device. A bit of a pain to have to ascender back up to your floating achor on the DRT system though.

Although ddrt is useful in the odd job I don't see the bother to switch from SRT after ascent the sooner you climb SRT the more benefits from the system you'll come to see ... I've climbed solid since 97 , & switching 3 years ago is the best thing I've done .. 💪😀

Same as John !

• 1 month later...

Ayup Will, it's Joe used to work with you at Ginkgo.

My preferred method is to throwline in and if I can isolate I send a running bowline up to the top then srt up, then when I get up I untie and set my cambium saver. If I can't isolate the limb I just use a basal tie then get the groundy to untie it for me then set my cambium saver.

• 4 months later...

I messed around with a few different ideas - and a lot depends on the job - but If i feel im going to climb lots on DRT then I just use the SRT for access and any work along the way, then  have my DRT set up (which lives on another rope) and just set it up. FOund it great when doing big reductions where i can leave the SRT system set up as an escalator.  e.g when the customer brings a coffee just swing back into where  i left the SRT system set up bomb down on that and its nice stroll back up. Also means no more truckers bladder.  My SRT set up is on cougar blue and lives in one bag by DRT set up is on Cougar orange and lives in a DMM rope bag / rucksack type thing, so if i want i'll just ascend with the whole thing on my back.  Best thing is to remember to pull out the DRT set up first - that way when the rope guide/pulley saver gets stuck - its just hop back up the SRT access line.   That said if im just skipping about dead wooding a nice tree or something like -  i'll just climb SRT. 

• Like 2