SRT ascent with DdRT work positioning Combo

Ok, so I'm trying to find some info on how to set up the following:

I want to set and ascend on a Single Line. But I want to work off DdRT.

I want a setup where I basically have my Ddrt setup pre-anchored to the SRT line so that when I reach the the top, I can just sit back into the Ddrt and start working.

The advantage of this being the easier and quicker ascent and, if done correctly, the possibility of a moveable top anchor from which you can maybe use multiple re-directs, but still have the mechanical advantage of Ddrt while moving about within the canopy.

I've seen something about it on internet once before, but can't find it again. Has anyone ever tried this technique? And if so, what Pro's and Con's have you found?

Thanks

Will

you can use something like a cocoon (https://www.treekit.com/cocoon-with-sling.html) or pinto on a prussic as your floating drt anchor from your srt line. You can either install it from the ground or once you are up.

Only retrievalbe from ground with base anchor however and still runs the risk of getting snagged if your top anchor is tight.

Ropeguide twinline is a very tidy solution also, but $$$.

Ok, so I'm trying to find some info on how to set up the following:

I want to set and ascend on a Single Line. But I want to work off DdRT.

I want a setup where I basically have my Ddrt setup pre-anchored to the SRT line so that when I reach the the top, I can just sit back into the Ddrt and start working.

The advantage of this being the easier and quicker ascent and, if done correctly, the possibility of a moveable top anchor from which you can maybe use multiple re-directs, but still have the mechanical advantage of Ddrt while moving about within the canopy.

I've seen something about it on internet once before, but can't find it again. Has anyone ever tried this technique? And if so, what Pro's and Con's have you found?

Thanks

Will

When you need to double the rope just put your HAAS with a revolver on your line and clip your tail end in to it.

Set an access line with a prussc klenheisted to it. Connect your regular deft system I to the prussic.

Place hand ascender under see prussic and something else into the system like a Croll in a microfrog system.

As you ascend your hand ascender advances the prussic. The regular system acts as a backup to the SRT system.

When you get to an area requiring work release SRT setup and climb using the floating anchor on the ddrt system. When done climb back to the SRT system reconnect and repeat.

• Like 1

Set an access line with a prussc klenheisted to it. Connect your regular deft system I to the prussic.

Place hand ascender under see prussic and something else into the system like a Croll in a microfrog system.

As you ascend your hand ascender advances the prussic. The regular system acts as a backup to the SRT system.

When you get to an area requiring work release SRT setup and climb using the floating anchor on the ddrt system. When done climb back to the SRT system reconnect and repeat.

Sounds like a good set up and solution Rich. Got any pics?

Thanks

Timon.

It is not something I have used for a lot my time and at that time not very often so no pics I'm afraid.

I have seen it used a lot though in masters climbs in comps and when I have been contracting at different firms.

I think it is called floating anchor. Another options is to tie an alpine butterfly on the access line and connect your regular climbing system. Pull the access line up to the top anchor and then when you get there your system is waiting for you.

There will more than likely be a few videos on YouTube.

Some really helpful replies there guys, thanks.

The cocoons and twin ropeguides are probably a little pricey and complex for me right now. I'm still just climbing on Doubled rope with a hitchclimber. I reckon it would take some practice getting it right and I don't have the spare cash to experiment right now. But definitely one for the future.

Rich Rule's idea is a good one. And something I reckon i'd try out. The only problem might be coming down. If you come down on Ddrt system, you can't retrieve the SRT line. But you can't come down on the SRT line without burning through the Prussic. I guess I'd need a Rope Wrench or something on the SRT to deal with that?

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Some really helpful replies there guys, thanks.

The cocoons and twin ropeguides are probably a little pricey and complex for me right now. I'm still just climbing on Doubled rope with a hitchclimber. I reckon it would take some practice getting it right and I don't have the spare cash to experiment right now. But definitely one for the future.

Rich Rule's idea is a good one. And something I reckon i'd try out. The only problem might be coming down. If you come down on Ddrt system, you can't retrieve the SRT line. But you can't come down on the SRT line without burning through the Prussic. I guess I'd need a Rope Wrench or something on the SRT to deal with that?

What do you reckon?

Cheers

If the access line is base tied its no issue.

Keep it simple though. Ascend on your access line with your ddrt line attached to your harness. Once you reach the top of you access line just tie in as normal or alt to your tie in point

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Like 1