Mini Artic

donnk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You cant drive 12000kg on a pre 97 licence. You are limited to 8250kg. As you will have the 107 restriction. To remove it taking the c1e test after passing the medical, theory and mod tests plus you will need the cpc.

UNLESS...

Unless you move to France and exchange your licence for a French one.

I did last year to my joy:001_cool:

Ty

The page you linked to is as per most gov sites a simplified version of the law.

This page give fuller details.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

Category BE

You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on when you passed your test. If you passed your test:

before 19 January 2013 you can tow any size trailer (it’ll say category ‘B+E’ on your licence)

on or after 19 January 2013 you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

As of the 1997 licence changes, all us traditional car drivers with the 12,000kg limit were capped at a 8250kg limit, unless one knew to ask for the 12,000kg "grandfather rights" to be retained on the new credit card style licence, which I would say 97 to 99% were unaware of, a quite deliberate, and highly successful ploy, on the part of the authorities.

The rear of our NI licence card is marked B+E =12,000kg, with a sub/super script that states pre 1997 licence holders are limited to an 8250kg limit(which is exactly a 7500kg truck and a 750kg unbraked trailer.

I am still pissed about it.

mth

The page you linked to is as per most gov sites a simplified version of the law.

This page give fuller details.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

still says

Category C1E

You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

The combined MAM of both can’t exceed 12,000kg.

Anyway that's all a bit of a red herring. 12 ton is plenty in practice. Be interested to your opinion on what you think the max possible weight that can be pulled by a 4 tonner by a driver with a full C1E.

tacho not needed for us builders (own goods, less thank 100 from base etc) and restricted O inst much pain either, just a paperwork exercise.

The more I think about it the more this makes sense. Assuming around 3-4 ton for the double cab + hiab + tool boxes (would have to be train MAM of 12 ton to be legal but dont see this as a problem for a daily) etc leaves 8 ton for trailer. I would have a cut down plant trailer (low loader type) to move the 5 ton digger and another tipper normal height for general use. Would be very very nice to have 5-6 ton legal carry on the tipper and have a hiab and a crew cab to boot.

As your in the trailer trainer game by the looks, I bet there a quite a lot of firms like mine who would use a firm like yours to get the C1E, maybe do a page on your website explaining whats possible as I think you would get loads of work from it.

oh just to add more confusion it seems you can downplate a 7.2ton to 3.5 BUT it retains its original train weight.

Edited by donnk