donnk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may well be missing the point.

What are the relevant before and after downplating weights of a 10.5 GTW Iveco daily?

What is the unladen weight?

What configuration is the trailer you are contemplating?

the 3.5ton has a train of 6.3ton http://ibb.iveco.com/Commercial%20Sheets/UK%20and%20Ireland%2FUK%2FDAILY%20MY%202014%2FChassis%20Cab%2fN.Daily%20%202014%2035S%2014%20CNG%20C%20Cab%20.pdf

the 7.2 ton has a train of 10.5/7 http://ibb.iveco.com/Commercial%20Sheets/UK%20and%20Ireland%2FUK%2FDAILY%20MY%202014%2FChassis%20Cab%2fN.Daily%20%202014%2072C%2015-17%20-21%20(HIMATIC)%20C%20Cab.pdf

unladen booth just over 2ton

lowest weight is 3360kg with just 20 liters of fuel in that link

full tank and driver would be 3.5t. add a 5th wheel coupling = ??? plus the nose weight of the trailer and 3.5t was a long long time ago!

Then going back to your first post, add a passenger, kit, crane behind the cab......

I think your original idea was best and most realistic, iveco or sprinter based mini arctic on a pre 97 BE

lowest weight is 3360kg with just 20 liters of fuel in that link

full tank and driver would be 3.5t. add a 5th wheel coupling = ??? plus the nose weight of the trailer and 3.5t was a long long time ago!

Then going back to your first post, add a passenger, kit, crane behind the cab......

I think your original idea was best and most realistic, iveco or sprinter based mini arctic on a pre 97 BE

agree it would be tight, just doable to keep under 3.5ton

remember to ignore nose weight all that counts is bare tractor.

A daily at 10.5 ton GTW will be plenty for me as I only need the extra to haul the digger, but if I was a boat mover, car hauler or maybe the best of all if you are working in the $hit hole that is London and are hit by the LEZ tax, this route may save you a small fortune.

Anything over 3.5 tons is £200 per DAY if your not compliant. The merc is of course not over 3.5 tons, is LEZ compliant and can haul 16 odd tons.

Is there anything in the Izuzi range that carries good weight?

Not as good as the Daily, less train weight, heavier chassis. Also weights 4 ton bare so cant be downplated.

http://www.isuzutruck.co.uk/downloads/Euro_VI_Forward_N65-150-0115.pdf

The other jap offerings not worth bothering with, very low train weights.

Edited by donnk

A daily at 10.5 ton GTW will be plenty for me as I only need the extra to haul the digger, but if I was a boat mover, car hauler or maybe the best of all if you are working in the $hit hole that is London and are hit by the LEZ tax, this route may save you a small fortune.

Anything over 3.5 tons is £200 per DAY if your not compliant. The merc is of course not over 3.5 tons, is LEZ compliant and can haul 16 odd tons.

I am all for a way round the system but towing that kind of weight behind a 3.5 ton truck with virtually no weight on the drive wheels is not going to be a bundle of laughs. Cant see hill starts in the wet or pulling onto a site being possible. Just thoughts.

Bob

I am all for a way round the system but towing that kind of weight behind a 3.5 ton truck with virtually no weight on the drive wheels is not going to be a bundle of laughs. Cant see hill starts in the wet or pulling onto a site being possible. Just thoughts.

Bob

Good point Bob, the merc is at the extreme end. Remember though that its really a 7.5 tonner and is designed to pull the weight. A fifth of the load or 3 ton would be put on the firth wheel hitch putting it at the top end of its 5 ton axle weight, this seems to be the norm for this setup.

Nose weight counts as the tow vehicles weight.