Pecker on 5T digger or electric breaker??

drinksloe

Alright

I realise not arb related but seems to be a lot of knowledgable folk on here that have done all sorts jobs :001_smile:

I'm digging away a big banking at the back of my house and am just beginning to hit some hard rock/shale stuff just as i'm getting near the final level.

Most of it is coming not too bad but down to an 8" toothed bucket but still bits are still too hard and i don't want to damage or shake the machine to bits.

The rock is wot i'd call grey quarry rock and there are quite a few quarries within a few miles of me with the same grey stone. So it does splinter away if u find the seem right

The question is would i be better off hiring a pecker for the 5T digger or would an electric breaker do? (never worked a pecker before)

I'm not expecting it to be constant big stones/seems so think i will get sick off constantly swapping the pecker and conecting hoses (don't even know if the pecker hoses are connected/work, they should do but an oder machine and u never know wot previous owners might have done) Bad enough constantly swapping buckets and its got a semi/manual quick hitch, so i shouldnae really moan.

So far i've got about 6 or so stones needing a few feet/corner knocked off and 1 massive thing thats 5-6ft tall right on the face, but i'm only 1/3 of the way along and still rough digging i dare say could be a lot more when i put the levels on and have to be precise

I would defiantly get a pecker as it will make very short work of it:thumbup1:....an electric breaker would shake you to bits and take ages to finish the job

Peckers are awesome on a 5t machine too!:thumbup:

Use the machine to its full advantage while you have got it:thumbup1::biggrin:

Hope this helps!

Edited by KWarb17

If you say the rock, will peal off if you hit the seam correct then a ripper tooth to free the material up is awesome, if it is hard hard rock then go down the breaker route, if an electric breaker will move it then a ripper tooth on anything above a 2 ton machine should get the job done, a ripper on a 5 or 6 ton machine will also give very impressive results, the other thing to consider with a machine mounted breaker is noise pollution, no noise with a ripper tooth,

51 yrs old now, been driving construction machinery longer than I care to remember, please let me know how you get on

Must admit i did want a ripper tooth for it, but there about 500 quid and i've took most of the roots out now that i needed.

But the bucket i'm using is still only 6-8" so really just 2 teeth, it is breaking it but it just takes a few scrapes which is shaking the machine.

I'm a bit of a woose when it comes to machines and don't like being to hard on them + its my own digger and i'm worried about damaging bushes, pins etc that may already be sligtly worn

Can u hire ripper teeth from plant hire places?

I must admit i'm a bit like carl above that i think the electric would be handy to just free up odd pieces, and save all the hassle of changing buckets

I take it its not a big job to take the pecker on/off.

Noise polution is not relly an issue where i am, and i think it will only be short periods at a time if i go down that route

Cheers so far

I had a concrete path in the back garden and wanted to take it out. I started with a pick, hammer and bar and soon realised I was getting nowhere as it was thick and reinforced with building rubble so I hired an electric breaker. Thinking it was hard going I hired it for a weekend. I started the job just to see how it would cope and it was done in 3 hours. I spent the rest of the weekend looking for stuff to destroy :D

Aye my old boss had a breaker and it was a brilliant little thing, thats why i thought of it, would work really well if i could run it at the right angles to split the rock.

Althou i think i've undervestimated the hardness, just broke both my teeth clean off my wee bucket!

Most of the rock is coming out 1-2ft cubes or whell barrow size but had a few big bits break off pool table slab/rock armour size.

Think i'll have to bite the bullet and get a pecker.

Should really be thankful only been like this the last 2-3 ft and not the other 20ft+ above it, but also glad as i know its never going to 'rush' on me.

I original rough estimated 2-3000T in it but i don't think its been quite that much, did mean to count dumper loads but it was never going to happen

I run a hand held breaker on a hyd power pack, I used to have an electric but found there was never electric when we needed it. Also think the hydraulic packs a bit more punch. If your not near a power point you could hire a breaker pack for the weekend.