Core strength and climbing

stihlmadasever

Forgot to take my fleece top off and got a bit bored at 2min 37 seconds so I stopped.

In fairness, I have done Muay Thai for over 20 years and have planked once or twice before in Strength and conditioning classes.

I remember me and the missus once went to a luxury hotel and went down to the pool and gym area. They had a planking challenge for the members, winning time won a hundred quids worth of beauty treatments.

I was suprised how low the winning times were as in the past I have regularly planked for the duration of a boxing round I.e 3 mins.

Me and the missus both had a go. She was a professional dancer at the time. The gym instructor told us to get up at about 3 mins and 20 odd seconds as we were making the members look bad and couldn't take the prizes anyway... ;)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just managed 3.15, could have held it a bit longer but I had started shaking and my back hurt. Can't be good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yeah the fella i was talking to at the gym did say only do planks in short spells just to test your capabilities as its not great long term.

By the looks of it and the times guys are posting arb work creates good core strength

I was a gymnast in high school and also rock climb core strength has never been a problem for me. The best thing I have found for core strength is slacklining, think tow strap set up between two trees and then walk across it. like a tight rope but not so tight.

Planked 3 minutes easy definitely harder when you keep your form really good. I see alot of people sag down on their lower back. not good at all.

Of course I have a full back fusion so proper posture is no problem for me my back doesn't really bend the wrong way now haha.