Stihl MS181 ignition coil

spandit

• 1 year later...
On 25/05/2017 at 10:24, spandit said:

Oddly, with a spark tester gadget plugged in ([ame=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-2780-Ignition-Spark-Tester/dp/B003AN1VPW]Laser 2780 Ht Lead Ignition Spark Tester: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]) with a metal bar in place of the spark plug it lights up well and with one particular car spark plug I get a smaller light but can't get any arcing across the plug electrodes. Don't know enough about coil packs to know how they'd degrade like this. Still struggling to find a replacement

On 01/03/2018 at 16:32, spandit said:

One thing I hadn't tried for some reason is the spark plug from my working chainsaw. £4 later and I have 2 working saws :S

Replacement plug is exactly the same as the old one and I can't see any obvious faults. Ho hum. Bit chilly to be out there anyway :D

@spandit Did this stay working? I have exactly the same problem including having a new plug and the same spark tester.

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

@spandit Did this stay working? I have exactly the same problem including having a new plug and the same spark tester.

As an update I have got the ms181 running but poorly, it's sucking air in the fuel line.

The reason I had trouble getting a spark was the thing wasn't spinning fast enough as the starter case was full of crap and the ergostart system absorbed any extra effort.

It doesn't explain why the  spark tester gave a showing when earthed directly, I thought the modules simply output nothing below about 400rpm.

23 hours ago, openspaceman said:

It has a leak from the oil tank so has been lying in a drip tray for some time now. I use the other one, although that’s also a bugger to keep running sometimes

1 hour ago, spandit said:

It has a leak from the oil tank so has been lying in a drip tray for some time now. I use the other one, although that’s also a bugger to keep running sometimes

It's one of those saws which I wish I hadn't started on.

I put a dab of seal all on the split petrol pipe and the saw runs fine now.

However it's not oiling and the reason at first seems to be the weighted pick up is missing from the  flexible pipe in the oil tank. This almost certainly means the pump will be blocked.

However it's not oiling and the reason at first seems to be the weighted pick up is missing from the  flexible pipe in the oil tank. This almost certainly means the pump will be blocked.
If they are the same pumps as the ms180 and 170 pumps they need changing every ten minutes anyways. I wouldnt fanny about removing it and cleaning, in my experience once they play up they never work again, faffed on optimistically with 4 or 5 and ended up replacing all of them. Not too dear anyways

1 hour ago, billpierce said:
3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Read more  

If they are the same pumps as the ms180 and 170 pumps they need changing every ten minutes anyways. I wouldnt fanny about removing it and cleaning, in my experience once they play up they never work again, faffed on optimistically with 4 or 5 and ended up replacing all of them. Not too dear anyways

Yes I think they are the same as on the pole saws but the costs mount up: pump £18, pick up £9 and primer/purge bulb £8 plus carriage on a saw that is £190 new and poorly engineered teutonic design with no servicing intended, a bit like BMWs. Give me something Swedish or Finnish any day.

Now as I'm ranting; the throttle doesn't open fully so I suspect something missing between the trigger and the rod that rotates the throttle arm.

I wonder if it's part 1139 182 2800 that's largely missing as there is a bit of white plastic still in the rotating part of the stop control.

A picture of it assembled would be nice