Staff issues

simonm

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always an interesting topic this. Do people feel there are a better age range and sets of circumstances to aim for when employing than others I.e

17-25

26-35

36-45

45-

Single

Married

Homeowner

Live with parents

Kids

No kids etc etc

We all employ on what we feel is job suitability rather than overall picture, not sure if what I have suggested is legal to do or not but surely 30 year old married with kids and house will give more than a 23 year old single living with parents (not in every instance granted). There maybe better combinations of the ranges given is there any substance to my thoughts or is it a load of rubbish?

We all know good workers what are there circumstances?

Lastly I have posted this for healthy debate not to be abused or attacked I don't know the answers or if there is a correct one.

It's always an interesting topic this. Do people feel there are a better age range and sets of circumstances to aim for when employing than others I.e

17-25

26-35

36-45

45-

Single

Married

Homeowner

Live with parents

Kids

No kids etc etc

Perhaps the biggest criteria for employing someone is their sex? If you employ a recently married female in her twenties you can be fairly sure in 6 months time she will be taking 6 months off for maternity leave....

If I was employing someone that had to work away from home I'd probably prefer a single person.

17-25

26-35

36-45

45-

Single

Married

Homeowner

Live with parents

Kids

No kids etc etc

We all employ on what we feel is job suitability rather than overall picture, not sure if what I have suggested is legal to do or not but surely 30 year old married with kids and house will give more than a 23 year old single living with parents (not in every instance granted). There maybe better combinations of the ranges given is there any substance to my thoughts or is it a load of rubbish?

We all know good workers what are there circumstances?

Lastly I have posted this for healthy debate not to be abused or attacked I don't know the answers or if there is a correct one.

You've hit upon quite a few of the "protected characteristics" prescribed by the Equality Act 2010 there Wes.

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights/types-of-discrimination

It is against the law to discriminate against anyone because of:

being or becoming a transsexual person

being married or in a civil partnership

being pregnant or on maternity leave

disability

race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin

religion, belief or lack of religion/belief

sex

sexual orientation

Agreeing, it's not easy, and certainly even more challenging for SMEs in comparison to Public Sector or larger companies to achieve and maintain compliancy.

Just posting (from my safe space) the law as it currently stands without accepting any liability for it, expressing any support for, or disagreement with it... :thumbup:

Perhaps the biggest criteria for employing someone is their sex? If you employ a recently married female in her twenties you can be fairly sure in 6 months time she will be taking 6 months off for maternity leave....

You're going straight to HMP Pentonville for that sort of approach! It's 2017 not the Dark Ages :lol::lol::lol:

If I was employing someone that had to work away from home I'd probably prefer a single person.

On reflection....

Single person working away from home - bored, out on the lash / pull, hangover, distracted all day by mobile phone and incessant groinal scratching of small pubic crustacians...

Married person working away from home - crack-on, work late, get the work done, get home early Thursday night or Fri morning...

Not suggesting a universal standard, just based on my experience.... :biggrin:

On reflection....

Single person working away from home - bored, out on the lash / pull, hangover, distracted all day by mobile phone and incessant groinal scratching of small pubic crustacians...

Married person working away from home - crack-on, work late, get the work done, get home early Thursday night or Fri morning...

I had a mate that employed about ten people. He said he had lost count of the number of times he'd employed a woman in her twenties that soon got pregnant and had 6 months paid leave... and then jacked their job as soon as maternity leave had finished... after taking their paid holiday they had accrued when being on maternity of course...

He worked in an industry with wafer thin profit margins and paying someone £10k for doing nothing was a large part of his annual profit.

I think you can discriminate as long as you don't write anything down...

I think you can discriminate as long as you don't write anything down...

See where you're going with that...

Except that, as was, without any personal financial contribution, a failed applicant could, if they were so minded, have brought you to tribunal where you would be called upon to demonstrate why 1 candidate was selected in preference to A.N. Other if it was claimed that a protected characteristic had been breached and, in all other respects, A.N. Other was equally or better qualified (on paper) for the position.

That, no cost, access to tribunal has now been removed to great calls of unfairness from the TUs (even in the face of considerable historic data which showed a high proportion of spurious / vexatious claims.)

I'm not sure "great tits" would be a justifiable defence (unless perhaps it was an RSPB job application!) :blushing:

On reflection....

That's the kind of thing I was getting at but did think it would be illegal to search in such a way however surely during interview process you could still land on such life criteria .....

Is it immoral to do so in your opinion?

It really is a mine field!!

I pay a good subbie climber £150 a day, he turns up does the job we have a laugh we all go home, I would have no issue paying what someone is worth, but when you get bad egg after bad egg it makes you think is it worth all the hassle! Starting to think no is the answer.

I pay a good subbie climber £150 a day, he turns up does the job we have a laugh we all go home, I would have no issue paying what someone is worth, but when you get bad egg after bad egg it makes you think is it worth all the hassle! Starting to think no is the answer.

I think you need to keep the faith not every egg is bad!