IntelliCarb™ ms261

Dilz

Got a MS261 come up that apparently isnt running right- Havent had chance to start it yet and see or myself so just going on what my co-worker has told me. and one thing I'm thinking is a possible issue with the carb... thing is i have yet to strip one of these ItelliCarbs (TM..)

Not too sure about them or if I can suspect to have any problems I just treat it like I would the good old regular fix it with just a screwdriver carbs of yesteryear.

Any tips or advice much appreciated. :thumbup1:

Got a MS261 come up that apparently isnt running right- Havent had chance to start it yet and see or myself so just going on what my co-worker has told me. and one thing I'm thinking is a possible issue with the carb... thing is i have yet to strip one of these ItelliCarbs (TM..)

Not too sure about them or if I can suspect to have any problems I just treat it like I would the good old regular fix it with just a screwdriver carbs of yesteryear.

Any tips or advice much appreciated. :thumbup1:

I would take it to the dealer and get it plugged in . Might be just a reset .

That annoying as the local dealer is a more than bit annoying...hence why I'm learning to fix saws and getting asked to fix em :D

Ok . Understood . I expect the auto tune set may be similar the the Husqvarna one were you bury the full length of the bar in some wood and cut flat out for 3-5 mins . I think the early Stihl saws had 1st generation Husqvarna A/T set up as Husqvarna sold it to them but not sure about the latest . Someone will be along shortly who has one I am sure .

ah! you mean it might need re calibrating! could be... it has got really warm and i think the saw is quite new so might be struggling, will check with the company tomorrow to find out when it was first bought but if it hasn't done a summer season then it might be it. Mind you i was wondering if the carb has got some crud in it, as the problem described sounds alot like when a bit of sawdust sits on the diaphragm, but concerned that by taking it off and apart to check then it might bugger up the automatic management.

Can't help with your actual question, but - "261 not running right" - the needle bearing would be my first port of call before digging any deeper. They have form.

Resetting the auto tune is "5 uniform cuts to length under full load".

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Can't help with your actual question, but - "261 not running right" - the needle bearing would be my first port of call before digging any deeper. They have form.

Resetting the auto tune is "5 uniform cuts to length under full load".

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Oh yea , of course . If it stops when you engage the chain brake then that is the dreaded " oval sprocket / collapsed needle roller thing . Endless threads about it on hear if you put in a search .

needle bearing was replaced last time it was on the bench two weeks ago.

Had the saw out today and reset the auto tune. I checked with the crew and they said the saw was bought last Autumn so it hadn't been used in anything much over 10C and this last week we have been hitting 20C on site. The idle is still a little rough though - sounds a bit too low but it doesn't stall anymore. Only thing is now is that sometimes the piston catches savagely when starting the saw. But that's another problem for another day.

needle bearing was replaced last time it was on the bench two weeks ago.

Had the saw out today and reset the auto tune. I checked with the crew and they said the saw was bought last Autumn so it hadn't been used in anything much over 10C and this last week we have been hitting 20C on site. The idle is still a little rough though - sounds a bit too low but it doesn't stall anymore. Only thing is now is that sometimes the piston catches savagely when starting the saw. But that's another problem for another day.

Check that the flywheel key is not sheared and put the flywheel slightly out of time .

The Stihl Mtronic is started on full choke and quickly flipped on to normal idle once running as it doesn't stall on full choke like conventional saws.

I guess you have been flipping the choke from full choke on to normal idle and trying to start it in this position. You are effectively trying to start it with the ignition timing on full advance of around 23 degrees instead of the normal much further retarded starting ignition timing.

Got caught like this myself:001_rolleyes: