How narrow does a grinder need to be?

Evening all,

Currently looking to upgrade the grinder and was set on the Toro STX-26 (34" wide) until I spoke to Dean at the show and realised that the ZT1844 (29" wide) won't break the bank.

Lost count of the number of jobs where we're scraping the tyres at 30". Taking the gate off is fine until it's brick walls etc.

The HB20 and JoBeau B24-100 are down to 25" but I'd rather have a track machine with a lot more power.

There's also the Predator 28x at 26", expanding tracks and a price tag to match.

So, how many jobs would you be able to get a 25" machine in where 29" is too much? Or am I over thinking this?

Regards,

Steve.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not always the gap but where the gate is. Getting through a 29" gate then meeting an instant 90 degree corner or a step causes loads of problems with the tracked machines as they are 8ft plus long.

I'd also be wary of ground damage caused in domestic gardens with a tracked machine.

Thanks Kev, looking to cut down the 30" wheeled grinder for that situation - can probably get it down to 27", it's just hard work compared to a bigger machine.

Turning on lawns I guess we'll have to carry a sheet of ply?

Just wondering whether to go for this or settle for an HB20.

Regards,

Steve.

HB20N is a great machine, plenty of power and will get into tighter gaps than any other grinder out there.....apart from an alpine magnum! Does nearly all of my domestic jobs and is built to last unlike several similar sized machines......great re-sell value too

I would say that less than 5% of the work I do requires access less than 3 foot (or 36"). That means that I can do 95% with a bigger machine which takes much less time and effort on my part! If I lost the other 5%, I wouldn't be too bothered as they are often awkward and hard work!

It's not just width, but tight corners, slopes, steps, raised borders and other obstacles that are restrictive. I also have a Rayco RG 20 with reduced width down to 29" which is self drive and can get most places but is still very capable. If that won't get there, then there's the Alpine Magnum which I use for probably less than 1% of jobs. Very hard work, very thirsty, very expensive teeth, but again very capable and has its place in my arsenal of machines! Getting a smaller machine may get you everywhere, but it will hurt your pocket and your body! Bigger is definitely better and more cost effective. Possibly even worth hiring a smaller machine (or some mug like me!:001_rolleyes:) for the infrequent 5% of work?

SG

Thanks everyone for your input, as I have the small machine - not ideal but does the job - which will end up 27" and get round tight corners (once carried it sideways through a kitchen door), I'm leaning towards sticking with the ZT1844.

It will be more powerful and comfortable to use and I should ever need to hire anything else.

Regards,

Steve.