150 ft Redwood Removal - Italy

scotspine1

from what I understood your Speedline is a system already used by me, if you have some pictures post it.

As for the wood cut, I wanted to confirm that in Italy the wood for construction doesn't worth anything 'cause it's imported in large quantities from Slovenia that sells at very low prices (that is, the forests have increased in Italy). Most of the wood cut in the forests is used for energy purposes.

I could make some larger pieces of work but the manager wanted the plant was dismantled in this way.

Makes perfect sense to me.

3 minute video of a Sequoia being brought down next to a house in Italy. Video starts slow (mostly pics), but hold out for the second half which shows most of the video footage. These guys do a great job, with some interesting ideas of getting the timber to the ground in what looks like a very confined area. Watch out for the big piece being lowered at 1.13

Were they Daniel Zansi's boys working?

from what I understood your Speedline is a system already used by me, if you have some pictures post it.

As for the wood cut, I wanted to confirm that in Italy the wood for construction doesn't worth anything 'cause it's imported in large quantities from Slovenia that sells at very low prices (that is, the forests have increased in Italy). Most of the wood cut in the forests is used for energy purposes.

I could make some larger pieces of work but the manager wanted the plant was dismantled in this way.

Bummer. Here, we are able to salvage any good or interesting urban woods. There are wood turners who make bowls, etc, chain saw carvers for soft wood like cedar or redwood, furniture makers who like free form slab art, all the way to the large mills which buy our native woods---douglas fir, cedar, birch, maple, alder.....with the economy in the toilet, these mills are paying way low these days.

some links

http://www.citytreesalvage.com/Why.htm

http://www.gogreendesign.biz

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com

The largest tree I've removed was a 9 foot at ground level sequoia. We craned it out, put the wood in a trash truck, and gave it to a chain saw carver. The 24 foot butt log weighed 24,000 lb. It had to be trimmed to fit in the dump truck, and then got stuck on its way out. I never did find out what the craftsman did with it.

I have no pics of the vertical speed line. It's just a method to stop a free dropped log from bouncing...it contains it in the drop zone quite well.

Edited by rbtree

i was well impressed that they had the tree down before lunch and not causing any dammage lol . on a seriouse note it looked like a really well done job . well done guys

Yup, a great job...but it took nearly 5 days, Georgio said. I can see why. I'm assuming you were joking, but had to chime in:001_smile:

Yup, a great job...but it took nearly 5 days, Georgio said. I can see why. I'm assuming you were joking, but had to chime in:001_smile:

Surely the extra time taken, is more than off set by the cost saving of NOT hiring a crane and having a road closure.

As a very wealthy man told me many years ago, "being well off has MORE to do with what goes out than what comes in"

I think this job was carried out with OUTSTANDING skill!!:thumbup1:

There is always "another way" of doing any job, I take my hat of to the skill of all involved in this job and I'm sure they were able to put more profit in their pocket's, instead of paying out for a crane, traffic management and permits.

You got that right, skyhuck....

I'm bidding on a giant black cottonwood, that will absolutely require at least a 100 ton crane. Dunno yet if we can work on XMAS break weekdays when there's no school busses, but it will be two days with the crane either way. Bid will come in at $15-23,000!!! (no overtime required on weekdays)