150 ft Redwood Removal - Italy

scotspine1

I wont disagree that the timber is an awful waste, but different countries and different regions have different timber markets. I am a fan of sawmilling timber but havent we all at some point logged up perfectly good timber because the millers dont want to pay for it or there isnt a market, transport, storage etc etc?

As far as road closures and cranes are concerned. I lived in Italy for two years and they have a totally different transport structure to us. Diversions and the like are rarely practical therefore road closures tend to be completely disruptive. Car accidents and landslides are often the only closures.

For all the crane experts out there, have you ever not been able to use a crane becuase of wayleaves, ground structure, width of road, measurements between buildings/structures, crane companies unwilling etc etc?

Some are so quick to critisise with absolutley no way of knowing the job details and issues. Cant we just appreciate the video for what it is? Maybe they use a crane four times out of five for all we know? This one was maybe just different....

Doug Blease

• Like 1

Cant we just appreciate the video for what it is?

No ! :biggrin:

We have all wasted timber, but not 150ft worth of redwood which is prime timber and the sizes involved would have been well worth the effort. Watching heli logger the other day and the values of one 8 tonne stem were something like $8 - 12K

Like I said, awful waste of timber in todays day and age

I know it wasn't the owner of the vid that posted on here, but it would be nice for the owner to be notified to answer the critisism :001_smile:

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

Hello, I am the climber who carried out the demolition of the sequoia. First of all thank you for the favorable comments on my video posted.

I wanted to respond to some posts I read in this forum:

I was told "it seems smaller than 46mt (128 ft)!"

the chart explained to me that is the effect of wide angle lents.

In http://www.thegreencorner.it in the folder "foto sequoia" photo n 1 contains all the given size of the plant and the yellow pulley in the picture n 8 is placed about 29 meters (81ft) because the blue rope is long 60 meters (168 ft) (see Photo n 4)

When asked "why not crane?" The labor leaders choose treeclimbing because there were big problems to stop completely the road that serves the entire valley and is crossed by thousands of machines every day

Sequoia.jpg.aa7b79322ccefbbbe04f61ca33317e14.jpg

Edited by Climbergiorgio
  • Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to sign up and post on this thread :thumbup1::thumbup::thumbup1:

Great vid. A true pro climber. It should not matter how the tree was felled. It was safe, and the guys looked like they had a great time from the photos. Appreciate watching pros do a job like that. It's not OUR timber, so what the hell?