150 ft Redwood Removal - Italy

scotspine1

On 13/02/2019 at 20:51, Ragdoll said:

What do you mean by this? Cheers.

In the drawing you can see what I mean. In this way I have
  about twice workload, with the same rope. If I'm using 2 Fiori's rings (A) and I have a load of 4 kN, on the rope 1, I keep 0.65 kN to control the load's descent. These rings heat up less, and to have a large radius allows you to use all the workload of the rope.

FIGURA 4.jpeg

On 07/11/2009 at 08:35, mdvaden said:

That tree looks more like a 90' to 100' height more so than 150' after pausing earlier in the video, and later at 1:04.

Its got plenty of meat on its bones though. Thats one of my favorite genus.

:001_smile:

Yep.  120-125 ft at the most, and certainly not 150 ft. Very nice work nonetheless!

Sequoia is not on the same level as Coastal Redwood when it comes to lumber. As this tree was growing way outside its natural environment, the wood looks to be very subpar. As such, I for one don’t feel too bad seeing it cut into firewood.  

Those very short pieces he was cutting would have been the perfect time to use the old teeter totter with wedges technique, me thinks.  

Edited by Erik
  • Like 1

On 14/02/2019 at 13:36, Jcarbor said:

We have stopped using pulley systems in lowering, large rings are the way to go, the decrease in heat is dramatic.

Is that because pulleys store heat from friction whereas a ring let's mild warm disperse along rope?

On 20/02/2019 at 15:54, Erik said:

Yep.  120-125 ft at the most, and certainly not 150 ft. Very nice work nonetheless!

Those very short pieces he was cutting would have been the perfect time to use the old teeter totter with wedges technique, me thinks.  

It's cool that you know the exact high of the tree even if none of you were there... I've already said that using a wide angle camera, it modify the real size. 

It was not possible to use wedges and let the pieces go with no control, 'cause the tree was on a slope, there was the risk to make them rolling to the street.

• Like 6

On 07/11/2009 at 17:35, mdvaden said:

That tree looks more like a 90' to 100' height more so than 150' after pausing earlier in the video, and later at 1:04.

The house in the video is closer to the camera than the tree, this distorts the image, and that house is a old villa with very high ceilings. Here the link where I post some pics so you can see them: 

• Like 2

On 21/02/2019 at 19:52, Rich Rule said:

No because the pulley is almost friction free, meaning all the point of friction is in the Bollard, Hobbs, Portowrap etc.

Rings create a bit of friction.  Multiple rings more friction and this dissipating heat elsewhere other than the bollard.

Pay attention to the kind of friction created on the rings. If the angle of the ring is too small, it's not good for your rope. Also pay attention to the heat created on the rings, it's always more than the one created on a bollard

So Georgio, what is your answer to the the question originally posed, that I answered? 

I am am well aware of the diameter of the ring effecting the rope of it is too narrow.  

Do do you agree or not, that multiple rings equals multiple friction points through the crown rather than one point of friction at the base?